Don't Panic

"I can't believe you did that," Marlene whispered to Dorcas as they climbed into the carriage headed to the castle.

Dorcas grinned at Marlene, "You never know when you're going to die, kiddo. Might as well go out flashing."

"Lily is going to kill you when she finds out."

"It's my body," Dorcas said, unconcerned.

Marlene shook her head laughing.

"I can't believe you did that."

"What's going to happen to me? No one can accuse me without saying how he or she knows it's me. You couldn't see my face, Mar."

Marlene was laughing so hard she was shaking. Her eyes started watering she was laughing so hard.

"I... I just…keep picturing their faces… Oh, Merlin… My heart!"

"What's so funny?" Mary asked as she climbed into the carriage, giving them both suspicious looks.

"Nothing," Dorcas smiled innocently, moving over so Alice could sit down next to her.

In a matter of seconds, Lily, Alice, Dorcas, Marlene, and Mary were on their way to the castle. Mary glanced out the window, ignoring the rest of them as they dispersed into idle gossip.

"Did you see that girl?" Dorcas questioned in amazement, her face completely and totally believable.

Alice shook her head, "I heard Sirius Black talking to Remus about it, though."

"What did they say?" Marlene wanted to know, though she didn't dare look at Dorcas as she asked.

Laughing lightly, her short hair falling into her face, Alice replied, "Sirius said she was fit and that he'd never seen Remus's eyes go so wide."

Marlene's smile faded and her lips thinned at that, but only Mary saw that. Marlene thought it was hysterical that Dorcas had impulsively decided to just streak for no good reason. But the last thing she wanted to hear was that her ex-boyfriend had been attracted to her best friend. Sure, neither Dorcas nor Remus had done anything wrong, but it still stung enough to make her grow quiet.

"Whoever it was," Lily began with an amused smile of her own, "was too quick. They didn't find her… I thought it was rather funny, actually."

"The queen of rules found that funny?"

Lily smiled sheepishly with a shrug.

"I always find nudity funny… I don't know why."

"That's because you have a sick sense of humor," Dorcas tutted, pretending to scold her.

They all crawled out of the carriage, clad in their Gryffindor robes, and headed to the castle. Lily and Dorcas took the lead, talking on and on about something, but Mary and Alice hung back to walk with Marlene.

"You okay, Marlene?" Alice asked softly, putting a comforting hand on her arm.

Marlene nodded.

"Yeah, I just don't know if I'm quite ready to be back."

"You still hung up on Lupin?" Mary asked bluntly, but not unkindly.

"I'll be fine," Marlene answered.

Mary and Alice shared a look and linked arms with Marlene.

"We know. We just like to ask to make sure."

"Well thank you," Marlene laughed, lighting up.

Dorcas and Lily grew quiet as they walked through the castle doors. In a flash, Lily saw Dorcas wave to Peter through the crowd excitedly as they all were stuck in a crowd stand still.