Dinner

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked, rubbing my arms as Smith, Tom, and Trott, who couldn't pass up the offer to cause mischief, began to set up the dinner. It had taken us a good hour and a half of scouring the internet for vegan dinners that didn't require outlandish vegetables and ingredients, and even longer for me and Smith to cook it. What was nutritional yeast anyway?

        Tom straitened and clasped me on the back. "The best idea mate," he assured, giving me a reassuring smile and returning to Smith's side to get everything perfect.

        "It's a bit cold for this isn't it?" I asked just as a gust of wind blew past us on the roof of the hospital.

        Trott patted the tiny space heater he had brought. "Nah, you'll be toasty," he winked, "and the wall will protect you from the wind."

        "What if we get caught?" I asked, continuing to ask questions to hide my nervousness. I wiped my palms of the front of my jeans, trying to will myself to relax.

        "What if we get caught?" Smith repeated, directing the question back at me, "She's not technically leaving the hospital. We're setting up a date not robbing a bank Ross." He chucked to lighten his statement and went back to helping Tom.

        My stomach lurched at the word 'date'; I don't even know that she'll forgive me, let alone agree to any of this. I stayed quiet for the rest of the set up, not wanting to test the patience of my friends; they were doing all of this for me after all. I'd have to make up for it somehow, but I couldn't contemplate that now.

        "There we go," Tom said, taking a step back with the other two to admire their work. A fleece, flannel patterned blanket (Smith's) was spread out across the blacktop, butted against the square structure that housed the stairs, away from the wind. The heater sat next to a bright lantern (also Smith's, the one he used when air softing), since candles or any other lighting wern't an option. Lastly, the food was staggered 'artistically' around the blanket. We had brought a small veggie platter and vegan pasta with mushroom sauce; 'cheese'cake was for dessert. Two glasses sat next to a bottle of nonalcoholic wine, since she was straight edge and it wasn't the best idea to get her drunk when they have her on medication and testing. It all looked very thrown together and hectic, like anything else my friends did. I just hoped she liked it and accepted it as my apology.

        Smith threw his arms around the other two. "Take a good look boys," he announced.

        "We better be part of the wedding processions," Tom joked, giving me a cheeky grin.

        I checked the time, realizing that I needed to get her soon or we'd be stuck trying to sneak through the empty hospital once visiting hours were over with. The three of them looked at me expectantly, and I suddenly felt very nervous again, realizing that seeing her again was now imminent. "Well go ahead mate," Trott encouraged, motioning to the door.

        "Uh... are you sure? What if we get caught going up here? What do I say to convince her to come? What if we don't...." I rambled on, trying to stall until I worked up the nerve to actually do it. I could feel the blood rushing to my face an my heart beating rapidly as I looked towards the door.

        Smith cut me off. "Aw, prince charming is getting cold feet," he wined, striding to the door. "You three stay up here, I'll go get her," he said, disappearing around the door before I could stop him.

        It felt like hours waiting for Smith. It did nothing to my nerves, which were already frayed and shot from the events of the past few weeks. I jumped when the door swung open, blocking our view of the person who had pushed it for a second, making my breath catch in my throat. An arm gestured out and I heard Smith's voice come from behind the metal door. "My lady," he drawled, following Amanda out into the cold night air.