Distractions

They dragged me all the way back to the waiting room, struggling all the way. I didn't care about the scene I was making, I just wanted to get back to that room. I needed to see her so badly that I was about to knock over all these nurses if I had too.

        Trott and Smith saw the commotion and quickly ran up to us. "Woah, what's happening here?" He asked as some of the nurses backed off of me.

        "She's awake," I said, hearing my own desperation in the statement. "She's awake and I need to see her!" I whined.

        They both startled at the statement. "What?" Trott asked at the same time Smith asked, "How?"

        The male nurse dismissed all of the others and said to me calmly, "I'm sorry sir, but you can't see her until there's a referral from the doctor for regular visiting hours." He checked his watch, "And it's 3:27," he said with an edge of sarcasm.

        "You expect him to come back during regular visiting hours when she's just..." Smith started angrily, but then forced out a breath as Trott elbowed him in the ribs.

        "He's just upset," Trott smiled kindly at the nurse, "me and Smith here will make sure he doesn't cause anymore trouble." He gave another smile and grabbed both me and Smith and dragged us away.

        "What the hell?" I asked, feeling tired and depressed and hopeless. I was about to quit and come back tomorrow, but the look on Trott's face made me think that he had a different idea.

        "Alex, you can't just cause trouble. You want to get kicked out?" He hissed through his teeth.

        "Well I was thinking that I could convince..." Smith tried to defend.

        Trott cut him off. "We don't want them thinking we're going to make trouble," he whispered, checking around to make sure no one was around to over hear us as we stood in the corner of the waiting room.

        Realization seemed to dawn on Smith and he gave Trott a half smile. "But we're going to make trouble, arn't we?" he said slyly. 

        Trott gave me a mysterious grin. "hell yeah," he nodded.

        "Mate, this is a hospital!" I said, appalled by the idea of doing anything to the nurses that had been so kind to me over the past few months. "There is no way we are going to do anything disruptive. These people are just doing their jobs," I said sternly.

        Trott wasn't easily threatened by me, so he just waved me off. "We won't do anything that bad Ross," he dismissed, "just create enough chaos to get you into that room."

        I opened my mouth to shoot down the idea again, but Smith quickly asked, "So what are you planning?"

        "We need to get those nurses away from the front desk so Ross can go in and unlock the doors," he summarized.

        "But how?" I asked, not feeling comfortable with this.

        "If we can create a distraction or commotion somewhere else in the building, they would need to rush over there right?" Trott asked.

        Smith nodded, "Yeah, but what distraction is big enough to get all three of them away from there?"

        I blamed video games for this convoluted plans. There was no way anything he suggested could work, and I didn't want to be kicked out and not allowed to return. I could wait if it meant I knew that I could see her again, yet Trott and Smith were risking those chances just because they wanted some adventure and a good story to tell.