The Downfall

A few months later, old habits had died hard. Finley and I had fallen back into the cycle of arguing. Most of it was from exhaustion, some of it was because he had completely closed himself off to me. He barely complimented me any more and he almost refused to come near me. I suspected he was cheating, but I had no real idea. We arrived at the ceremony late. I touched my make up in the car after we had argued bitterly before we left. I had almost driven to my parents house and let Fin go to the awards ceremony alone, but he had reminded me that the press would have a field day with that story the next day. I felt like I was a hostage to the paparazzi and Finley's image. Finley was in a foul mood and hadn't said two words to me since we had departed the house. I put some eye drops in to counter the redness so no one would know I had been upset.

"Here you are guys! Have a great night." The driver said to us. I smiled and thanked him. We stepped out of the car. Security was already there and escorted us to the red carpet. Finley held his arm out for me, as we both plastered fake smiles onto our faces. I reached out and took it gently. I stepped forward and all we saw was a flurry of lights flashing. No matter how many times we got mobbed by the paparazzi I never got used to it. All I could hear were people shouting our names from every direction. I placed my arm through Finley's and we made our way slowly down the red carpet. I had gotten good at posing for the camera but I didn't like having my photos analysed online and every detail torn apart. I had a top designer make me a dress for this red carpet as it was important to Fin. Tonight was an awards ceremony and he had a number of nominations. I was wearing a short blue strapless dress, with some beautiful crystal detailing up one side. I had on some long matching Jimmy Choo boots and a matching yellow bag with some yellow accessories. I had a make up artist who had done all of my make up and hair which looked flawless and I had touched up my lipstick just before stepping out of the car. I pouted and smiled for the cameras and hugged and kissed Fin. Even though we had just had yet another argument, I couldn't deal with another story about how our relationship was on the rocks. Fin stopped for a couple of interviews on the way in, as he always did and I stood next to him and laughed and answered any questions directed at me. By the time we got inside Fin and I seemed to be back to normal. I was in a much calmer mind set and Finley seemed much less angry. We saw Jen and her latest partner Caleb and Fin headed over to say hello. He greeted her with a hug and shook Caleb's hand. I smiled and said hello, and got ignored as usual. Fin began talking to the couple enthusiastically about what they were all up to and I stood there awkwardly. Not really wanting to interrupt. This was a norm for me. Some celebrities were really lovely and were so polite, there were also a large number who were rude, and looked down on anyone who wasn't involved in what they did for a living. I always felt like a nobody at these events.

"Claire?" I heard Finley say. I snapped back to reality and looked around. All of them were staring at me and I blushed.

"Sorry, I was in a world of my own." I said, embarrassed that I was now the centre of attention.

"Yeah we can tell." Jen retorted. I took a deep breath and forced a smile. I couldn't stand Jen but I had to accept she was part of Finley's life. No matter how often I day dreamed of punching her in the face.

"Come on, we're gonna go find our seats." He said. I nodded and followed the group. Internally I was screaming. I did not want to spend the night with Jen and Caleb. It was bad enough they were always stopping by the house. I had already had a crappy day and it was just getting worse. We found our seats with some other actors and singers who Jen knew. I recognised all of them and smiled as I sat down. I introduced myself to them one by one and they did the same. I could tell one of them, Melanie, didn't like me from the off, but the others seemed ok. I was seated next to George de Silvio. He was a big time Hollywood actor and had an incredible reputation behind him.