Ch. 5: Sharing an Umbrella

Start from the beginning

Moonbin then closes his umbrella and looks up.

Moonbin: I guess you’re right.

He then faces me and smiles.

Moonbin: Well, I guess I’ll be seeing you tomorrow, then.

He then holds out his umbrella to me and I look at him with a confused look.

Moonbin: The sky is still gray. You’ll need it when it rains again.

Moonbin smiles while looking at me expectantly and I hesitantly take the umbrella from him.

Y/N: Gomawo, but what about you?

Moonbin: I live just nearby so I don’t really need it.

Y/N: Oh, okay. So... I’ll see you tomorrow.

I then turn to the way to my house and leave.

Your house

Finally, I’m home and I go straight to my room to put down my bag and change. After changing, I go to the kitchen to prepare my dinner when my phone starts ringing. I quickly take out my phone to see who’s calling.

Eomma! I completely forgot to call her!

I pick up the call and bring my phone to my ear.

Mom: (through the phone) Y/N! How are you doing, dear? Is your new school okay?

Y/N: Uh, yeah. It sure is.

I take out a pot from the drawers and start filling it with water to boil.

Mom: Jinjja? Did you meet any friends there? Are your classmates nice?

Y/N: Well, kinda... But I did meet this one girl named Dahyun. She’s cool and she knows a lot about the school. She’s taught me a lot.

The pot is filled with just enough water now and I place it on the stove and light it up.

Mom: That’s good! I thought it would be hard for you since you’re very choosy when it comes to your friends.

Y/N: Yah, eomma!

I hear Mom laugh then speak again.

Mom: It’s good to hear that you’re doing good, honey. I have to go now. Dinner’s almost cooked. By the way, what are you having for dinner?

Y/N: Uh... I don’t know... ramen?

As I say that, I start placing the noodles and other ingredients in the pot of boiling water.

Mom: Are you eating cup noodles for dinner? You know that’s not a really good diet. How ‘bout I send you vegetables so you can eat well?

Y/N: Thanks, mom, but I can buy vegetables on my own.

Mom: Aniyo! I don’t trust the vegetables they sell there. Don’t worry. I’ll send you the vegetables you like to eat. You like carrots, don’t you? I’ll send you those!

Suddenly, I hear something hissing from the other side.

Mom: Oh! The water’s overflowing! I have to go now. Okay, bye, honey! Love ya!

Mom then hangs up and I smile as I put my phone in my pocket and take the pot out of the stove and bring it to the table.

Truth is, this isn’t really my home. My home is in Busan, where Mom and Dad are right now. I only wanted to transfer to a school in Seoul because I wanted a fresh start as a senior high student after being such a loner as a junior. I knew people would think I’m weird if I suddenly started being friendly after being cold and distant for 3 straight years, so I chose to start over again in a school where no one knew me. Unfortunately, the school I transferred to doesn’t really have nice students.

I then look towards the front door which is visible from the dining room and suddenly notice Moonbin’s umbrella beside the door.

But, then again... there still are some people who are actually nice...

I then smile as I look at the umbrella.

The next day

I arrive infront of the school building and look up towards the building. I don’t feel nervous now that I know what to expect. I breathe once before walking up to the entrance and entering the building.

???: You must be the new kid.

I turn to the right of the entrance and suddenly see a familiar guy leaning against the wall while smiling playfully. He then stands straight then holds his hand out to me.

???: Y/N, right? My name’s Jungkook. I’m a member of BTS.

He then smiles innocently and I sigh then take his hand. Suddenly, as I take his hand to shake it, he grabs unto my hand and pulls me closer to him.

What the-

Y/N: Yah!

I look up at Jungkook then feel my eyes widen when I realize how close his face is. Jungkook then smiles playfully and brings his face closer to mine.

Jungkook: You interest me.

Oh, not this again!

I take a step away from Jungkook and he notices and tightens his grip on my hand.

Y/N: Ow! Yah, that hurts!

I glare at Jungkook and he smiles mischievously as he pulls me towards him again.

Jungkook: You’re weird. Any other girl wouldn’t have stepped back if they were this close to me.

Y/N: You sure are arrogant.

I try to pull my hand away but Jungkook won’t let go.

Jungkook: Can’t you be interested in me, too?

Y/N: Never!

Jungkook smirks and I start to feel nervous. Suddenly, someone grabs my other hand and successfully pulls me away from him.

???: That’s enough, Jungkook. You’re going too far.

The person then pulls me behind him and I look up to see another guy who also seems familiar.

Where have I seen him before?

Jungkook: Oh, come on, Taehyung! You and Moonbin are such party poopers!

Jungkook pouts at the guy, who I assume is named Taehyung, and my eyes widen when I hear what Jungkook said.

Is he a member of Astro?

Taehyung glares at Jungkook who then groans then turns to leave. He then stops then turns to me.

Jungkook: We’ll continue our little conversation later on, Y/N.

Jungkook smiles playfully at me then walks away.

Taehyung: Didn’t Dahyun tell you to stay away from us?

Y/N: Hmm?

I look at Taehyung with a confused look and he looks at me, then sighs.

Taehyung: Mianhae. I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Taehyung. Like Jungkook, I’m also a member of BTS.

My eyes widen and Taehyung looks away then sighs.

He’s a member of BTS? But he seems much nicer.

Taehyung: Just listen to what Dahyun tells you. She rarely gives out wrong advice. If there’s nothing else, I’ll be going now.

Taehyung then walks away and I watch him go until I hear Dahyun from behind me.

Dahyun: Morning!

I then turn around to see her walking towards me with a bright smile on her face.

Dahyun: So you came. I was worried you’d get nervous again and end up not coming to school today.

Y/N: Yeah, first days are usually more nerve-wracking than second days, as far as I know.

Dahyun then reaches me and we both walk towards our classroom. As we enter, I notice Yeonjun at his desk. Suddenly, he looks up at me then smiles playfully.

Yeonjun: Morning, Y/N. I’ve been thinking about you lately.