20.1

" Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the shadow

" Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the shadow. "

— T.S. Elliot

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

20.1 ; SEX, BIRTH, DEATH.

     CAROLINE MOVED THROUGH THE throng of the Metro crowd like a pinball, bumping and bouncing against the bodies of tightly packer communters. She kept her coffee tucked in to her chest, her grip firm against the paper cup. All it took was one wrong move and the fresh coffee she had waited ten minutes for would be all over her clothes.

     Only a few feet in front of her, she watched as Spencer easily navigated his way through the crowd. Unlike her, he didn't have to stand on his tip-toes to see over people's heads. She mentally cursed all six feet and one inch of Dr. Reid as she bumped into another commuter, causing her to stagger to the side.

     Most of the time, she doesn't mind being five foot four. She never had to duck her head when walking through a doorway and she always had enough leg room in the back of a car. However, on the metro, being below eye-level meant getting trampled.

     Spencer must have felt the tug on his coat as she stumbled (she had grabbed a fistful of the fabric before entering the station, unless she wanted to get tossed around like a human-sized basketball) because he paused to glance back at her. A small, amused smirk was on his face.

      "Spence, wipe that smile off your face," she said as she looped her arm through his, securing herself to him. "We can't all be over six feet tall."

     The young doctor said nothing as he carefully manuvered her in front of him, her back pressed against his chest. He kept a firm hand on her shoulder as he guided her forward. There was no more bumping of the shoulders or collisons into strangers. People only brushed by now, narrowly avoiding them.

     "Stupid tall people," Caroline grumbled into the lid of her coffee cup. She felt Spencer's chest vibrate from his laugh.

     Now that she wasn't slowing them down, Spencer was able to squeeze them into one of the stopped cars. The train car was packed with the morning commuters, but they were able to snag two seats beside each other in the back. They had just gotten settled into their seats when the train started to move again.

     Spencer tucked his brown leather messanger bag into his lap as he took a sip of his coffee, his eyes absentmindedly drifted over the over passengers. Caroline simply rested her back against the hard plastic of her chair as she nursed her own coffee.

     They had made this trip together so many times, there was no need to fill it with empty chatter. It was one of the things she loved about being around Spencer: she was always comfortable with the silence. It was something both of them had gotten used to about the other—the way they both retreated inside themselves as they thought.