15.3

" Happiness is only real when shared

" Happiness is only real when shared. "

Jon Krakauer

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

15.3 ; WEDDING BELLS.

SPENCER STARED AT THE small brown Victorian house as a lump grew in his throat. When he had gotten into one of the SUVs after work, he had planned on going for a drive to clear his head. He had driven for at least an hour, taking roads he didn't recognize until he found himself here. He hadn't planned on standing on the street in front of Caroline's aunt's house.

He was tempted to get back in the car and leave. With the wedding being tomorrow, there were a lot of preparations that needed to be made on both ends. When he had left Quantico, Hotch had been on the phone with the Director of the FBI. They needed as many agents as they could get. He should just get back in the car and go back to work.

But he couldn't make himself move. After Caroline's cognitive interview, she left within five minutes after he calmed her down without saying a word to anyone. She didn't speak to Hotch or Gideon or Derek or Garcia. She hadn't even looked at Spencer.

He just wanted to know if she was okay. He wanted something else to replace the memory of her curled in a chair as she screamed in terror. And, above all of that, he wanted some of his questions answered as well.

Before he realized what he was doing, he was standing on the porch, staring at the front door. He sucked in a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. A few moments later, the door swung open and he made eye-contact with Caitlin's jade-green eyes. He could tell by the wariness in her eyes and the way she slumped forward slightly that she knew what was happening tomorrow. He couldn't even begin to imagine how she felt.

"Dr. Reid," she said, blinking once. "I—What are you doing here?"

"I, uh—I'm sorry to intrude, I was just..." He tried to come up with a plausible lie that didn't sound stalkerish like he was just in the neighborhood but he couldn't force the words out of his mouth. He let out a loose breath before trying again. "Is Caroline home?"

The younger girl's light brow furrowed but she nodded. She craned her neck and called into the dark hallway, "Caroline, you have a visitor!"

From the end of the hallway, he saw her emerge with Cass in her arms. As she walked into the light of the sunset, he felt his heart start to beat faster. She was wearing a loose cream sweater, black leggings, and white fuzzy socks. Her blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail and he noticed the slight red puffiness under her eyes. Even though he had seen her in civilian clothes before, it was still strange to see her outside of her usual work attire.

Caroline stopped short behind Caitlin when she saw Spencer standing in the doorway. Surprise flashed over her face before she composed herself. She turned to her sister and handed Cass to her as she told her, "Cait, why don't you go help Aunt G in the backyard with the flower arrangements? I'll come help in a few minutes."