19.2

In order to learn the most important lessons of life, one must each day surmount a fear. "

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

19.2 ; LESSONS LEARNED.

"COULD THEY GET ENOUGH anthrax?" Prentiss asked, her voice remarkably calm despite the circumstances.

"The letter sent to Senator Tom Daschle's office in 2002 only contained two grams of purified spores," Spencer said, his eyes never leaving Jind Allah on the tv screen. "That alone is enough to kill twenty-five million people if effectively distributed."

Prentiss didn't respond, the control room going quiet except for the static of the speakers connected to the interrogation room. Since they had discovered the cell's weapon of choice, Gideon had immediately launched into his interrogation with Jind Allah, who was now dressed in the orange jumpsuit her boss had provided him with.

Caroline didn't want to think about how much anthrax was in Virginia right now. Just the thought of her family, along with Hotch and Morgan, being in the same state as a weaponized disease made her nauseous, what little she had for breakfast this morning threatening to make an appearance. 

She had to focus on what she could control, what she could do to help. She couldn't help back home, but she could help here by doing what she does best—observing behavior. 

"Are you willing to have a chat with me?" Gideon's voice, soft and calm, floated to the speakers. He sat in a metal chair directly opposite of Jind Allah, who was staring at him with a composed expression.

"Go ahead, Gideon." Jind Allah's voice was raspy and course, pronouncing her superior's name like Jah-deon. "Let's chat."

"He's from Egypt," Emily said automatically. "Cairo."

Caroline glanced up at her, her eyebrows raised slightly. "You sure?"

She shook her head. "No, he could be Yemeni, but odds are he's Egyptian."

Caroline picked up the walkie-talkie directly connected to Gideon's earpiece and gently pushed it into her hands. Prentiss gave her a quick, almost grateful, nod before saying into the walkie-talkie, "Sir, he was born and raised in Egypt. They pronounce 'G' sounds as a 'J'."

On the screen, their superior showed no sign of a reaction as he continued to converse with the unsub.

"What type of name is Gideon?" Jind Allah asked, his head tilting to the side a little as if he was bored with the conversation.