9.2

" Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together. "

— Eugene Ionesco

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

9.2 ; NIGHTMARES.

CAROLINE'S FEET CRUNCHED THE dead leaves under her boots as she hiked through the forest, searching the ground for any signs of a clue. When JJ and Reid got back from the police station to help set up the search party, Spencer brought her a pair of hiking boots and a thick coat from her go-bag, which she gladly took in exchange for her muddy flats and thin cardigan. Navigating the rough terrain of the Virginian mountain became much easier once she had the proper footwear to get over the hills and valleys.

So far, the search party hadn't found much. She was in one of the farthest sectors from the trail and she had a fairly small group of volunteers, which were two middle-aged soccer moms and a standoffish man who caused goosebumps to appear on her arms. Of course, with her luck, one of the local deputies in her sector took the soccer moms and left her alone with the man who gave her the creeps.

She glanced back at the man following her as she searched. He wasn't very intimidating, he had curly hair and average build with an average face. But there was something about the way he looked at her, she could feel his eyes on her as she hiked through the forest, disappearing farther and farther from the others. He stared at her when her back was turned or when she was looking directly at him, it didn't matter. The man's eyes just followed her every move.

Her hand cautiously hovered over the walkie-talkie attached to her hip. Caroline had been tempted to radio Gideon at the trail head to send someone else by but she decided against it. She chalked up her feelings to the case. Finding a potential satanist could freak anyone out.

Except anyone wasn't Caroline.

At this point, the only thing that kept her from radioing the team was the fact that she had a gun and he didn't. Even if he did get a drop on her, she would have a gun pressed against his forehead before he could blink.

As Caroline kicked through the leaves, she noticed her boot was untied. She stopped in her tracks as she leaned down to tie her boot, her fingers looping the thin brown strings into a neat bow.

A hand rested on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"Whoa!"

Caroline shot up, started by the sudden contact. She turned around on her heels to face the volunteer that had been five feet away from a second ago. She swallowed.