19.1

" Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes

" Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom of the future. "

— Dale Turner

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

19.1 ; TERROR ALERT.

CAROLINE COULD SMELL THE smoky, warm aroma of coffee in the chilly mid-November air, even though the small coffee shop was still about a block away. Spurred on by the enticing smell, she tucked her coat tighter around her body as she picked up her pace to a brisk walk.

The sky had lightened since she left her apartment this morning and was now a milky grey, which made the air feel even cooler. The streets weren't as busy as she had ever seen them, but they were busier than she thought they'd be at seven in the morning. On the sidewalk, she passed the occasional jogger or businessman, keeping her chin tucked under the collar of her coat in an attempt to keep her face warm. She regretted not bringing a scarf.

Up ahead, she could see the warm yellow light of the coffee shop spilling out of its windows into the grey morning. The smell had grown stronger and she was all but salivating now. She was in desperate need of a caffeine fix before she could become a fully-functioning member of society.

The glass door opened easily, the bell hanging above the frame tinkling softly. The warmth of the shop enveloped her, causing her to tug her coat off and throw it over her arm. At this time of day, the cafe resembled the color fresh daises, it had a cheery look so different from the drab outside with bright light and colorful yellow walls. The sound of soft jazz music poured out the open door with the smell of rich, strong coffee mixed with the buttery, comfy smell of freshly baked croissants and muffins.

She paused and glanced around the small cafe. There were only two people in the whole place. The barista standing behind the colorful and pristine display counters gave her a tired smile. After giving a nod a warm small to the barista, she spotted her sister-in-law nestled in a corner table by the window, her attention solely concentrated on the newspaper in her hands. Her brown hair was pulled back in a long ponytail and she kept twisting a loose strand with her finger absent-mindedly as she read.

Caroline smiled a little as she approached her, draping her coat over the opposite chair. "So, what's the word?"

Rebecca glanced up at her over the newspaper and smirked. "Corporate America is lining the top one percent's pockets with more money as the economy struggles."

"Oh, so nothing new then."

"No, nothing new."

Rebecca folded the newspaper neatly on the coffee table before standing up and wrapping her arms around her. Caroline hugged her back, resting her chin on her shoulder. She could feel the hard baby bump, which had grown more pronounced in recent weeks, through her sweater.