8.1

" A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses. It is an idea that possesses the mind. "

Robert Oxton Bolton

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

8.1 ; DERAILED.

IT WAS THE SOUND of train wheels rattling against the tracks that shook Caroline out of her trance. She had been staring at the case file in her hands for so long, she forgot what time it was and where she was headed. Beside her, Elle had plugged in a set of headphones with closed eyes, blasting some random song with a heavy beat, trying to get some sleep. The car ride down to El Paso hadn't been a pleasant one. Bumper to bumper traffic and the loud blaring of horns made it hard for either of them to get some rest before their interview.

Caroline's fingers carefully brushed over the photos of young dead boys and she sighed.

Hotch and Gideon had sent both Caroline and Elle to interview Charles Devries, a recently apprehended child murderer in Texas. He had agreed to participate in a vicap interview for their system and Elle was to lead it. Typically, Caroline was the one to lead the interview but, since Elle was new and had to learn the ropes, she traveled with her to make sure everything went smoothly. Her co-worker had been complaining the whole way to Texas about how she felt like Gideon sent Caroline along as a babysitter, convinced he was still testing her.

But, in her eyes, she saw it a different way. Ever since her breakdown after Karl Arnold's case, or "The Fox" as the media dubbed him, Hotch had been extra wary of her duties, treating her like a fragile doll. He sent her for research and coffee runs. This was the first time in two weeks Hotch had sent her outside of D.C., and she couldn't have been more relieved. Even though it was an interview for a child killer, she was glad to see a change of scenery.

Outside of the whizzing train, Caroline glanced over Elle as the landscape of Texas brushed by the window. Beautiful sparking rivers and stubby green and brown trees ebbed and flowed as the train traveled, the sun hanging high in the sky, beating down over the barren landscape .

Caroline reached for her cellphone in her pocket and hit her speed-dial, calling Gideon's number. They looked close to their destination and she figured that her superiors would want a heads-up that they were almost there.

He picked up on the third ring. "Gideon."

"It's me."

"Devries cooperating?" The older man asked. In the background, she could hear the shuffling of paper.