~ E I G H T ~

Color Me Sick

After the talk Y/n had with her Uncle Barry this morning, she was careful not to skip like yesterday.
Though it was easy to excuse it as an anxiety filled outburst, and that she had to go.

But now she was tucking her skateboard under her arm and and staring at the small, grey pill in her hand.

Everything in her needed this one little thing for the day, but a stronger part just knew that if she swallowed it she would be infested with an evil supercomputer and lose all sense of herself.
Even if that was total bullshit.

Her hand shook, and she racked her brain for several long seconds.
Finally, she raised her arm...

And threw the Zoloft in the trash.

She hugged her board with both arms and let out a huge breath, walking inside.
The moment she stepped inside, some chuckling student bumped into her.

"Sorry." He mumbled, laughing with his friends.
Her ears burned and she walked faster.

Why were they laughing at her?
She didn't mean to bump into him, if anything it was more his fault than her's.

In fact, why were all these kids laughing at her?
What was she doing that was so funny to them?
God, were they even looking at her?

She got to her locker and shakily opened it, startled by a tap on her shoulder.
"Whoa, sorry I uh, didn't mean to scare you."

She turned around to be met with a flying cadet patch.
Her eyes followed the patches up and was met with glasses, and a huge smile.

"Hey." His lips and teeth were stained red from the large slushie in his left hand.
"Hi Michael Mell." She smiled, turning around and shoving her skateboard in her locker.

"What?" He asked her.
She looked at him. "What?"
"Why do you call me by my full name?"

She shrugged and slammed her locker shut, shoving her hands in her pockets.
"It just.. rolls off the tongue."
"Yah I guess." He shrugged.

He smirked, pulling his keys out of his pocket and swinging them around with one finger.
"You wanna...?" He nodded his head towards the student parking lot, and she rolled her eyes.

"No, I can't skip today. My uncles will kill."
"You?"
"Anyone. Both of us. I don't know."
The two laughed and started walking slowly to class, not worrying about the time.

He stared at her with a lingering smile, and she squinted.
"What?"
"I uh, I just... haven't heard you laugh this much."

She shrugged and made a quick turn, slumping against the open door frame to her first class.
"I'm full of surprises Michael Mell." She clicked her tongue and shot him a finger gun, backing into class and apprehensively sitting down in her seat.

Her heart was beating so fast and her face burned.
How the hell did she manage to pull off such charm? That was way beyond her capabilities.

Y/n slumped her seat, pulling her hood up over her head and picking at the planetary embroidering running down the side of her jeans.
"Y/n." The teacher snapped her fingers the same way her dad did.

Her head snapped up from her jeans and she looked at the woman, snapping her fingers from the podium. "Please, do try and pay attention L/n."

The pretentious way she spoke and the irritating snapping made Y/n clench her fists and her jaw.
"Y/n!" She snapped again, much more loudly this time.

The click of her fingers made Y/n's core burn with rage.
An irrational rage that was too familiar, and too overwhelming.

Y/n's chest heaved with rising anger, and with one more snap her eye twitched.
Everything was silent but the teacher's muffled, shrill voice... and the loud snapping of her fingers.

The last thing she heard was her heart pounding in her ears before every student gasped and it got darker. Their gasps were accompanied by a loud crash !

The gooseneck lamp beside the teacher's podium shattered, sending minor sparks flying from it.
Everyone flinched, including Y/n a few seconds too late.

The students all stared in astonishment, and it was a matter of seconds before kids started pulling out phones and filming TikToks.
God, how juvenile can kids be.

Y/n was busy racking her brain, trying to figure out how it was possible that the lightbulb would spontaneously blow out.

How her piggy bank could randomly fall off the edge of her dresser.
How she could possibly crack the bricks outside with a single, pitiful punch.

These were all things that she would normally pass off for coincidences, minor things that happen to correlate in her brain but have nothing to do with each other.

Things she would never ever question, had she taken her Zoloft.
But the rising, sick feeling in her throat was all too much for her.

She stood up and charged towards the door, old sneakers squeaking on the floor.
"Ms. L/n!"

"I need to use the bathroom!" She mumbled, running out of the room.
Not like the teacher cared much. For she was just as alarmed.

Y/n stumbled out the door, running out of class and to the cheap little plastic garbage can in the middle of the lockers.

She flipped the lid off, her tumbling feeling accumulating in the back of her throat, till it came spilling out into the trash.

She held onto both sides of the container, vomiting up all her anxiety and what felt like everything she'd ever eaten.

Tears pricked her eyes, and she panted, coughing violently and wiping the bile from her lips, standing up.

Her back slumped against the lockers and she took long, deep breaths.
This cannot be possible. She was not living out some dramatic, Matilda-like shit in her boring ass, ordinary life.

She was a regular person, with a regular brain and regular thoughts.
All that happened was a few strange things, that had nothing to do with each other, and she was just being paranoid.

All she had to do was grab some water from the water fountain, collect herself, and go back to class like everything was normal.
But another part of her knew that something more intense was lying underneath the surface.
Maybe...

Maybe she would just sit here on the floor for a few more minutes.