~ T W E N T Y - S I X ~

Sorry, Not Sorry

"I'm just saying, we've been sitting on this for a couple days now, and we're doing nothing."
Y/n hopped out of the Cruiser and Michael groaned and scratched his head.

"I... I know. I get what you're saying. But if nothing has happened thus far-"
"Michael."

He stepped out of the car and sighed, leaning against it and looking at her from the top.
She crossed her arms. "Mikey, I have not been home in over a week. I haven't seen my uncles in over a week, I don't know where they are or if they're safe."

Michael stared at her for a long second, before nodding.
"Okay... alright..." he sighed, sitting back down in the driver's seat.

Y/n's eyebrows furrowed, and she glanced up at the school.
"What are you doing?"

He rummaged around in the center console, pulling a lighter out of his jeans.
"I just need a smoke for a minute."

She watched him light the little blunt, and exhale a thick cloud of smoke.
"Alright. I'm gonna head in."

He nodded and gave a little two finger wave.
"I'll be in a minute."

She nodded.
With her bag dangling from her shoulder, she went in the side doors.

When she got in the hall, it was busy.
She missed seeing so many people.
It was like she'd been so isolated recently.

On the thick cement windowsill, she saw Jeremy Heere biting his thumbnail.
When their eyes met, his widened and he sprung up from his seat.

"Y/n!" He bustled over to her, and she gasped.
"Jeremy, hey! Are you okay?"

His eyes wandered around and he ran a hand through his curly brown hair.
"Hey, uh, where-uh... where's Michael?"

She glanced back at the door.
"In his car, smoking."

Jeremy laughed awkwardly and nodded.
"Oh, okay. Then uh... I guess, can I just talk to you for a second?"

He looked around and leaned closer to whisper, "Somewhere we can talk about... you know..."
She inhaled, "Oh! Oh yah, sure, uh...."

Her eyes landed on one of the multipurpose rooms by the bathroom, pulling Jeremy along towards it.
All that was inside were dusty blinds, a couple classroom chairs, and two meeting tables stacked on top of each other.

She shut the door and crossed her arms, leaning against it.
"What's up?" She asked, right as the warning bell rang.

He opened his mouth to speak, pointing up and she shook her head.
"It's fine, we can be a little late to class."

He nodded and fidgeted with his fingers.
"Well um, I just wanted to apologize. Cause you kn-well, like... I just ran off the other day. Which was pretty sucky, you-well you know given the circumstances."

She frowned and opened her mouth to interject but he kept going.
"And like, you've been through more than anyone."

"Jer, that's not true. You held that thing in your brain for longer than I could handle."
He shook his head. "Right! B-but I mean it really wasn't that bad, and you got attacked by your own family."

She blinked.
"I took one, and my life will never be the same again!"
Her head getting pressed into the floor.
The pressure of her skull and his weight.

He wasn't wrong. She got attacked by her own family.
You're gonna take this goddamn thing if I have to shove it down your throat!
And now she had forgotten the point she was trying to make.