32 By the Light of the Moon

#4
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Kai and Edmond sat on the edge of the boat, gazing into the night sky.

"Edmond?"

"Hmmm?" He replied, still admiring the stars.

"Thank you... For everything. For getting me out of the palace. For taking care of me. For taking care of my mother. I appreciate your generosity. I really don't know why you want to help. Especially after the way I treated you."

"Oh your welcome, Kai. I help because despite what you may think... I care."

Kai blushed "Oh..."

Edmond grinned.

" Edmond?"

"Yes?"

"May I ask you something? "

The prince turned himself toward Kai, took hold of her hand, and spoke softly "Ask me anything you wish to know and I will always reply truthfully."

"What was your mother like?"

Kai felt Edmonds hand stiffen. She quickly put her other hand on his and said " Edmond, I'm sorry. If you don't want to talk about her that's fine. I shouldn't hav-"

"No."

Kai looked at him in confusion.

A million memories were running through Edmonds head. Memories he didn't want to remember.

He inhaled deeply and said "No, I think it will be good for me to talk about her. Its just... hard."

" I understand. Take your time, we have the whole night by ourselves together."

Edmond smirked and looked at her deviously. Kai rolled her eyes and punched him in the arm. He groaned and quickly clutched it, rubbing the pain away. He didn't know were to begin

"Well, my father is Emperor obviously. And he wasn't around often when I was younger-"

Kai leaned on Edmonds shoulder and closed her eyes, still listening to his words. Her long hair fell over his shoulder and back. He noticed and paused a little too long, he felt a tingle in his abdomen and his hand in Kai's started to shake. The scent of her hair filled his lungs. The prince felt rather vulnerable in that moment. Kai didnt seem to notice. But almost to tease him, she released his hand and began braiding a curl from her hair. To do this she removed her hand from his and placed it around her torso. The prince shook the nervs away and continued.

"So my mother raised me up until I was 17. And I am ashamed to say I was a very wicked son. I was spolied. You know the typical wealthy, arrogant, royal brat. My mother couldn't raise me by herself so she had nurses and nannies assist her. I gave every one of them a hard time. And I guess everyone felt bad for me because my father wasn't around and my mother was on her own, so I got what ever I wanted when ever I wanted. For a young boy that was a dream come true but my mother would have none of it. She corrected me and disiplined me, but I was so stubborn. I would always challenge her... I would always say horrible things to her. I don't know what was wrong with me- I believe it was because I missed my father and I perhaps in some childish way blamed her. I don't know.

"I remember I actually started spending some time with my father when I was ten . If you can even consider it that. He was always at battle or visiting an ally. I only saw him a few hours after days had gone by. My mother tried to help me understand but I wouldn't listen. As time went by I became more rebelous. My mother was patient though and would put me in my place, but it didn't do any good. I'd embarrass her and mock her. I'd ask her 'where is father really? What's he doing all this time? It's been too long, who's he with?' She would scream at me and slap me. I'd just walk away from her, not caring."