21 Emperor Caesar & Kai

And so Ceasar went on a rowboat the next day by himself into his favorite fishing spot. But he didn't intend to fish. There he waited for hours for a sign, a splash, something from Kai. He began to get impatient.

This is probably going to be a big waste of time, he thought. He then began to daydream about other things like what Edmond might be doing right now, how Kai was clever enough to trick the prince, and his wife...

"You know Kai, I'm not sure if your listening, but Edmond was very different before his mother left us. She was a true lady. Dignified, fearless, passionate, and very beautiful. Its a shame that her last day with me had to be so dramatic... I wasn't the best husband or father in the world, it's unfortunate that it took her death to make me try harder.

You see it was the dissaperance of cargo and people that was concerning many nations. Ships would sail and never return. The survivors would speak of beasts in the water that would attack them. I refused to let my family accompany me because I fear for their saftey. The world's economy is at stake, because not just my people, but all people are loosing goods. It's causing tension for war. So as you can imagine I do not have the best view of merpeople.

My son is the only reason I chose to speak with you... I think you are the first girl- woman, he ever took seriously."

Caesar paused for a moment a deep grinned. "I even noticed how he turned a little pink when he talked about your eyes. A placid violate huh? Well if I ever meet you I'll get to see for myself. And Edmond lov- likes you just for your voice. That was all it took, a song. That's something special for Edmond. Usually it takes a lot more to impress him..."

Ceasar paused. Still no sign. He continued talking.

" I'm sure he told you about that song his mother sang. You know he never talks about that song with just anyone, but he told you. Despite what I may think, there must be some good in mermaids, if he trusts you so."

Ceasar waited. No response. He continued talking to pass time.

"Kai I hope you can forgive me for trying to kidnap you. I thought the mer people were stealing goods on ships and... eating or killing our men. I feared that your people were going to take revenge for the Marine War. Edmond told me that wasn't the case at all. I hope we can leave the past behind and move forward. "

No response. Ceasar didn't notice however that his boat was facing a different direction...

"One thing Edmond didn't tell you was his mother's love for music. I remember a song about the ocean she loved so. It wasn't the one she sang to us it was... like a dancing song. I'm not sure if I can remember all the words but, I'm going to give it a try."

Edmonds father cleared his throat and sang:

Some where beyond the sea

Somewhere waiting for me my lover stands on golden sands

And watches the ships that go sailing

Somewhere beyond the sea

She's there watching for me

If I could fly like birds on high

And straight to her arms

I'd go sailing"

The Emperors voice was deep and raspy, due to his age. Honeslty, it was past his hay day, but the king was suffering from boredom. After all, he could do whatever he pleased. Despite his terrible tune, he kept on to pass time and to fill the eerie quiet that surrounded him.

"It's far beyond the stars

its near beyond the moon

I know beyond a doubt