🧸thirty six🧸

"Happy birthday, Hannie!" Mark greeted. He switched the camera to show the small cake he had prepared along with the lit candle. "Make a wish!"

Haneul smiled and went along with his little gift. She closed her eyes and made a wish. She 'blew' her candle out and Mark clapped. "Thank you, Minnie. You're always the first to greet me."  

"What did you wish for?" He asked.

"For you to get  eyebrows as beautiful as mine."  She joked. "Just kidding. If I tell you it won't come true."

"I couldn't make it today, but I can visit by next week. I'll make it up to you." 

"You should focus on your career you dork." She grumbled.

"I am, I just don't want to regret not spending time with you."  He shyly answered.

"Haneul!" Her mother called from downstairs. "Your friends are here to take you out on your birthday." 

"Minnie, I have to go. I'll call you back when I get home." Haneul ended the call immediately and prepared her things. She trudged downstairs to the living room where her 'friends' waited for her. 

"Have fun on your day out" Her mom said, unaware of her uneasiness. 

"Don't worry about her, Mrs. Lee. We'll take good care of Hannah here." Damien assured, putting an arm around Haneul. "Right, Hannah?"

Haneul nodded, knowing she'll have it worse if she disagreed. The moment they left her home Alicia grabbed her by the hair. 

"You have the money ready for our little celebration?"  She asked. "I've been dying to buy those heels I saw."

"I have it." Haneul  whimpered in pain as she felt Alicia's grip tighten before being shoved to the ground. She fell on her knees, skinning them in the process.

"Fucking bitch. Hurry up." Alicia stepped on her hand before walking away. 

Happy birthday to me.

.

Her birthdays always passed by as a blur to her every year. She couldn't even remember the last time she had spent her special day surrounded with people who cared for her. 

Haneul stared blankly at the heartwarming scene before her. The joyful voices of her friends singing and their endearing and comforting gazes made her heart lose a weight she never knew was there.

Every time she blinked, a scene from her past birthdays would flash before her. Her vision became blurry as she felt the warm streaks on her cheeks. She tried to wipe the tears away, but her eyes seemed to betray her as the tears flowed continuously. 

The whole room became quiet at her tears. The kids, worried they had done something to upset their noona, also began to tear up. 

"Do you hate it, Hannie?" Mark pouted, hugging his sister's leg. "I'm sorry."

"No Minnie, I love it. I love it so much." Haneul sobbed, covering her face.  She tried to collect herself but failed to. "Thank you."

"Our crybaby Haneul is so adorable." Ten teased, handing her a handkerchief and tying her hair back. "It's just a little party for you." 

"No one has ever thrown a party like this for me." She cried, voice shaking. She never thought someone would do something like this for her. 

Was she even allowed to be this happy? She felt like she didn't deserve to be this happy.