🧸twenty🧸

He couldn't understand why they would do that. It broke his heart knowing she endured it for so long in fear of what they would do to her brother. They manipulated her using her love for her brother to do what they wanted.

Were they even human?

"It got worse as the years went by. They humiliated me multiple times in front of the whole school and strangers, locked me in small places, took my money, beat me until I couldn't move, forced me to eat disgusting things, broke my things. Basically, anything they found funny."

Jaemin's blood was boiling as he couldn't bring himself to even imagine any of those things happening to her. What got him even more angry was how no one helped her.

It made him understand her anxiousness in public and distrust towards strangers even more.

"Two years ago, I had entered a figure skating competition. It was my first one in a while and I was thrilled to take the stage." Haneul's hand went to her right knee, clutching it. "They switched my ice skates  with a broken one and I ended up getting injured in front of hundreds of people."

She remembered how the blade broke when she landed, causing her to injure her right knee. The laughs, the cold feeling of the rink, the clicks of the cameras, and the stares she felt still haunted her.

"Ever since then I couldn't bring myself to skate even after my injury healed. The moment I step in the rink I get nauseous and I can't move. The doctor said it was psychological." Haneul continued. "I felt something in me die and I don't really remember the details but... I woke up in the hospital and this happened."

Haneul removed the bracelets she wore and showed the three large scars on her wrists. She felt embarrassed of herself. She lost all confidence and trust in herself.

"My mom sued the school and got them expelled. Mark bought a house and had me move here to restart but I couldn't bring myself to start anew. But..." She trailed off, hanging her head low in shame. .

"But?" Jaemin parroted.

"I could't bring myself to trust anyone and I couldn't handle being in public. I feel disgusting and these will always be a reminder of how weak I am. Pathetic, isn't it?" Haneul let out a dry chuckle.

Jaemin took her hand, planting gentle kisses on each scar. His smile was somewhat comforting as he studied her features.

"You aren't disgusting for happened to you or what you did. The ones who did it to you are the disgusting ones. They're not human." He said with a stern look in his eyes. "Don't be ashamed of your scars because they're a part of who you were and are."

Haneul shrugged.

"You're not weak babe I swear. You didn't give up and here you are now working hard to improve yourself." Jaemin comforted. "Healing isn't a linear process. Sometimes you'll be pushed back, but at some point you'll overcome it. I believe you can."

Haneul's lip jutted out as she looked down at her bare feet. She was getting the warm feeling in both her chest and stomach. She suddenly felt restless under his stare and her wrist tingled from the sensation his lips left.

She held his hand tighter, alarmed once again at the sudden feeling.

"I'm thankful you decided to share your past with me. I promise it won't change my view of you." Jaemin assured. He grinned and pinched her cheeks. "My bratty damsel in distress."

"I'll bite your finger if you don't let go of my cheeks Nana!" Haneul warned. He let go immediately, knowing she would actually bite his hand.

"You win this time, Princess." Jaemin jokingly sighed. He was relieved to see her mood improve.

"I heard you playing the piano earlier. You're really good." Haneul complimented. "Do you know any other song?"

"Do you know Steven Universe? I learned the song Love Like You recently." He answered after some thought. "Would you like to do a duet?"

"I can't sing though." Haneul wasn't confident in her voice.

"Trust me." Jaemin turned to the piano and readied himself. He grinned at her. "Don't fall in love with me."

"As if."

Haneul watched in awe as his fingers pranced gracefully along the keys. The mellow melody of the song was comforting and alluring like she remembered.

Haneul felt bewitched at his sweet voice. It made her feel at ease as she found herself leaning against his shoulder. She closed her eyes, falling deeper into his peaceful voice.

The opening of the bedroom door goes unnoticed to the two as the six boys quietly walked out. Jisung waddled up to Haneul, surprising her. She scooped him up and cradled him in her arms.

Mark sat beside her, resting his head on her arm. The rest of the kids sat down at either side of the two, enjoying the music.

"I always thought I might be bad, now I'm sure that it's true. 'Cause I think you're so good and I'm nothing like you."

Haneul decided to join Jaemin in singing, taking a verse. The boy was taken aback at the sound of her voice. It was a bit shaky but beautiful nonetheless.

"Look at you go I just adore you. I wish that I knew
what makes you think I'm so special."

Jaemin gradually lowered the volume of his voice and let her take the spotlight, a proud smile adorning his lips.

He glanced more frequently at her, taking in the sweet moment. He could see the slight curve at the corner of her lips as she sang. There was a sparkle in her eyes that always appeared when she was with the kids.

She lovingly looked at Jisung who was beyond happy in her arms. It warmed his heart to see her like this.

He did promise that the way he sees her won't change, but how long can he keep it like that?

It had been changing everyday, growing stronger and stronger.

"Love me like you."

Haneul turned to Jaemin who openly stared at her as he finished the song. "What?"

"You're really good." He smiled. He got up and picked up the rest of the kids who fell asleep. "We should get them to bed."

"I need to give them their goodnight kisses." Haneul mumbled, taking both Mark and Jisung to the bedroom.

"Can I get a goodnight kiss too?" Jaemin cheekily asked.

"No."

"Why not?"

"No."

"I deserve kisses too!"

A/N

Well this chapter

Sucked

So there's her past

I'm trying to be a responsible 'adult' and start studying since school starts soon. I've also been working on my thesis and damn do I wanna curl up in a hole and die.