Chapter 47

The blue sky got covered with the hues of orange, red and pink as the orange-yellow ball of fire rose high up in the sky. The birds were chirping and dancing happily in the sky welcoming the brand new day. It was a fresh morning of Monday and sun shone brightly in the sky.

The cheerful morning was indeed, a gloomy one for the newly wedded bride. Nandini was dismayed at the events of last night, the first night after her marriage with the monstrous royal of Rathore clan, Vikrant Singh Rathore.

Horrified at the events of last night, Nandini got up from her luxurious bed as tears trickled down her face. Limping, she covered herself and headed towards the bathroom to freshen herself. She was glad that she was not compelled to see the grouchy face of her husband in the morning after all, the grumpy man was not present in the room, much to her relief.

After a relaxing bath, she summoned the maids and got ready for her first day after marriage. She faked a smile which did not reach her eyes as she got out of her husband’s chambers. She was not happy but terrified at her new life.

Last night, cursing her fate, she accepted her new life, ironically which her father thought was the best for her. Her husband claimed his right on her body, after all, that was what he wanted. The only satisfaction Nandini had was that her monstrous husband could never claim her soul. Her gloomy big, doe-shaped eyes told the tales of her misery and pain as they held unshed tears.

Nandini met her mother-in-law in the palace, as she passed through the spacious stairways of magnificent marble, who scrunched her nose looking at her. The old lady commented, “Some people can wrap royals around their fingers but cannot step in their shoes”, looking at the clothes of newly-wedded Nandini disapprovingly.

Clad in a heavily embroidered red colored silk sari, Nandini was all decked up and she was infuriated when her mother-in-law passed a disgraceful comment at her. Nandini was already tired of her husband’s behavior the previous night when she realized her mother-in-law thought she had bewitched Vikrant.

Furiously, she marched at Shyambhavi Devi and said, “Mother, for the first and the last time, I am telling you, it was your son who came after me. I never wanted to marry that disgusted man who just had lust for me.” Gritted her teeth, Nandini went away leaving the old lady shocked for once.

Vikrant, on the other hand, was really pleased to get married to Nandini not only because he was attracted towards her bewitching beauty but also because she was the daughter of the powerful tribal headman, Avinash Singh Shekhawat. Having lost his royal title because of banishment, Vikrant craved for power and position in the society.

After marrying his ‘dusky beauty’, last night he fulfilled all his desires and was satisfied. A smile crept on his lips as he remembered their night full of passion and desire. Now being legally wedded to Nandini, Vikrant wanted to give her the title of ‘his queen’.

He had expected his little wife to oppose his advances the previous night but was thrilled when nothing of that sort happen. In fact, before entering his wedding chambers, last night, Vikrant had resolved to give her time if she needed any but he was happy that Nandini surrendered herself to him. A wave of desire swept across his body as he reminisced his moments with his wife. Ironically, Vikrant Singh Rathore could not see the misery in the beautiful eyes of his wife while he fulfilled his lust.

Vikrant Singh Rathore wanted a powerful position in tribal society as it was the second step towards his goal of clipping down the wings of arrogant bird, Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore. He had left to his new court early in the morning where he met the headmen of neighbouring tribal villages and discussed plans to improve their trade. He knew the greed of money would compel the innocent tribals to help him defeat the queen of Vijaygarh, Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore and he wanted to make the best use of every opportunity coming in his way.