Chapter 92

“So today I will be teaching you about defending yourself while you are riding a horse and you are attacked”, Uday Singh Chauhan instructed his disciple, the bubbly royal lady who was not paying attention to his words.

The sun had finally begun to descend down after illuminating the blue sky for the whole day. The faint golden glow of the sun had lit up the training grounds where Uday Singh Chauhan was supposed to train Nandini. Clad in a peach colored kimono-type dress, Nandini was all ready for the training but her thoughts wandered towards the prospect of spending time with Uday.

While she spent time with Uday, she realized he too loved her company but refrained to accept that after all, she was a royal widow while he was just a commander-in-chief responsible for training the soldiers in the royal army of Vijaygarh. She enjoyed his philosophical thoughts and she could see his happiness since the prince of Shivgarh had woken up.

Nandini terribly wanted to change the dynamics of their formal relationship into an informal one. She did not know what future beheld for her or how scandalous their friendship would be considered in the patriarchal Rajputana society but for once, she wanted to follow her heart.

Throughout her life, she had been the shadow of our father obliging all his words however, when she was married to Vikrant, her life had turn upside down. Now that, Vikrant was no more in her life for good, she desired to live her life to the fullest.

Nandini hated herself whenever her mind wandered at Vikrant and the cruelties he inflicted upon her. She despised herself whenever her instincts compared Vikrant with Uday. She wished if she had a companion like Uday in her life but given her widowed status, she was forbidden to think any such thing. She craved for Uday’s company in her life but she had settled with the fact that some emotions are meant to remain unrequited forever.

Her days were spent learning about astronomy and astrology while during the evenings, she underwent her training with Uday which was certainly the best time of the day for her. When the sky turned dark every day, she spent her sleepless nights beside the glowing wick of a lamp and wrote philosophical poems about life.

She adored his company and respected his authority however, she despised Uday for his stubbornness. She had caught Uday stealing glances at her every now and then. She had noticed his eyes on her even in the royal ceremonies however, whenever she had followed his gaze, she was always disappointed as he turned away his eyes every time. If it was not him, she would have felt uncomfortable with someone glaring at her however, she was greeted with dancing butterflies in her stomach whenever Uday stared at her.

Uday had begun teaching swordsmanship skills to Nandini who was seemingly getting attached to him. He, on the other hand, admired her carefree attitude towards life. He respected her for recollecting the broken pieces of her life with a smile on her face. He wanted to know everything about her and make sure, she gets every joy in her life. He appreciated the fact that her presence added to joy in his life every day. He desired her presence permanently but he was afraid of the disparity in their statuses and societal norms. He did not want to hurt her but doing anything that shall question her dignity and this is why, he was controlling his emotions around her.

When Uday saw, Nandini was completely lost in her thoughts, he snapped at her, “Shall we begin?”

Nandini nodded meekly and Uday began instructing her about protecting herself while sitting on the horse in case of any attack. Today, Uday was teaching an important self-defense technique while Nandini was lost in his grey eyes. Her heart fluttered while he explained tricks to protect herself and she kept on stealing glances at his muscular body which was covered with a cotton tunic.

“Get on the horse and try defending my attack”, Uday ordered sternly getting irritated at her lack of attention though, he admired her thoughtful expressions on her beautiful face.

Huffing in irritation, Nandini followed his suit and jumped over her horse with a sword in her hand. Uday gestured her to take up speed and encircled her, lunging his sword towards her. Nandini, who was completely lost in her thoughts, did not lunge her sword in forward direction swiftly to strike at her opponent’s sword, rather she tried to move her body backwards trying to save herself.

As a result, Nandini imbalanced herself on the horse. The poor horse was unaware of its lady’s thoughts. It neighed and galloped with its forelegs high up in the air catching Nandini off-guard. She screamed at the top of her voice panicking at her state. Throwing the sword away, her hands closed themselves forming fists. Her eyes were closed in terror as she prepared herself for the fall.

Her horse galloped leaving her at her fate while Uday analyzed her situation in horror all the while taking appropriate action when it was needed. Being brought up around horses and swords, Uday had carefully noticed the agitated horse as it neighed in discomfort. He had thrown his sword away and jumped off his horse running on the other side immediately. He had caught hold of Nandini before her head could hit the hard training ground but the damage was already done. Nandini had fallen on the ground with a loud thud.

With bleeding scratches on her hands and legs along with her damaged dress, she still had a radiant smile on her face as she realized she was practically lying in Uday’s lap. Uday was completely shocked. He knew she could have hurt her head or broken her bones. His voice being all panicky, he asked, “Are you fine, Nandini?” without even realizing that he never called her by name owing to the difference in their statuses.

“See, it is really easy to pronounce my name”, Nandini replied coyly smiling at him still not trying to get up. It would be scandalous if someone witnessed their close proximity under the crepuscular sky as the sun had set but Nandini cared less.

“Ah! Honorable lady, please get up”, Uday spoke being embarrassed, trying to rectify his mistake as he straightened himself.

Confirming the fact that Uday had genuine concerns for her, she mumbled, “Thank you, Uday”, as she tried to stand up straight but she shrieked as her leg limped. Her heart was happy that finally barrier between her and Uday was broken but there was an excruciating pain in her left leg which needed immediate attention. Her back was paining too but the pain was bearable.

His heart fluttered and crimson hue crept on his face as he heard Nandini calling his name in her melodious voice. The sudden accident had changed the dynamics of their relationship completely. For the first time, they were referring each other with their first names and it was completely ecstatic moment for both of them. Taking a deep breath, he stood up and questioned, “Are you okay, honorable lady?”     

“You don’t need to feel bad for committing this inappropriate deed of calling me by my name, Uday. I felt elated.” Nandini confessed with her head bowed down as she caught his hand to support herself. Her heart fluttered with joy.

Uday had a small smile on his lips as he understood the unsaid emotions. Despite, the rational side of his mind wanted to neglect those feelings, his heart decided against it. Scratching the back of his neck, he asked her, “Why are you happy despite being hurt?”

Nandini glanced at him with a wide grin. She seemed to be pressing her lips trying not to laugh as she realized he knew the answer of his questions. His grey eyes spoke at length about his feelings no matter, how much he tried to hide those joyful yet, forlorn emotions.  “Let’s seek the royal physician. My leg is paining, Uday”, she replied with immense emphasis on his name conveying her unsaid emotions.

He chuckled as he walked her to the nearby pavement and gestured her to sit. Putting her left leg on his knee, he carefully examined the swelling in her leg. “I am afraid, you have twisted your leg, Nandini. Don’t try to walk till I arrange the palanquin”.

She smiled at his caring gesture and blushed hard at the turn of events. Before he could leave, she got up and mumbled, “I am sure, I will be fine till we head towards the chambers of royal physician.”

“After you, brave lady”, he chortled genuinely admiring her strength to face tough situations. Nandini was supporting herself on Uday but he was wise enough to seek help from a royal maid on the way which was not liked by Nandini at all!   

♥️♥️♥️

Hi everyone

This version of Uday and Nandini is super cute!🙈🙈🙈

I am in love with the changing dynamics of their relationship!!!🥰

Veer will be recovering soon! I will try updating soon but till then, please shower this story with your precious votes and comments 😘😘😘

Do take care and don’t forget to VOTE and COMMENT 🌷

Love you all
💜