Stefan shook his head no. "I'm kinda tired actually. I think I'll go lay back down" he told her, getting up off of the bed.

Elena felt even worse. "Stefan" she said, sighing. She knew he wasn't really tired. "Stefan" she tried again, but he was already out of the room. Elena looked over at the tray of breakfast and frowned. She had to find a way to cheer him up.

XXXX

Stefan stared up at the ceiling. It was early afternoon and despite having told Elena he was going to sleep, he couldn't fall asleep. He wasn't upset with her for shooting down his idea to leave the house. He was just disappointed. He shouldn't have walked out on Elena and he knew that. He just wanted some space.

The bedroom door slowly opened and when he turned his head to look, he saw Elena. "You're awake?" she asked.

Stefan nodded. "Yeah" he answered, sitting up in bed. She came inside the room and sat down on the bed with him. "Are you up for a short walk?" she asked.

Stefan's lips slowly turned up into a smile. He was up for anything that would get him out of the house. "Definitely" he told her, sitting up some more.

Elena returned his smile and leaned in to kiss him. "Follow me" she whispered, standing slowly and taking his hand.

Stefan had to admit that he was surprised when she led him out the back door. He had figured they would actually leave the property, but apparently she had other plans.

They walked across the backyard hand-in-hand, at a slower pace due to his ankle. When they approached the line of trees that gave Damon's property some privacy, he got curious. "You're not taking me out back to finish me off once and for all, are you?" he asked.

Elena laughed at his joke. "No, not today" she told him, looking up at him and smiling. "I just thought we could use the privacy" she explained as they followed a path. They met up with the small creek that ran through Damon's property and Stefan helped her step over it. When they rounded the next patch of trees, Stefan saw a blanket spread out along with a picnic basket. A large tree provided just the right amount of shade while allowing some sun to light up the area too.

"I know you're miserable, being stuck inside and resting" Elena said, squeezing his hand gently. "And I know this isn't probably what you had in mind when you suggested we get out of the house" Elena added quickly.

"This is perfect" Stefan said, smiling as he looked down at her. He watched her sit down on the blanket and he followed her lead, using the tree to lean up against for extra support. He pulled Elena so her back was to his chest and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm not good at doing nothing" he mentioned quietly.

Elena rested her arms on top of his and leaned her head back to rest against his shoulder. "I know" Elena told him. "I know that. I know you don't like other people fussing over you and I know you don't like being told you can't do something" she said quietly. "But I need you to get better, and if resting is going to get you better, then I have to make sure you do it" Elena explained.

Stefan never really looked at it from her point of view. He had selfishly been complaining when this whole time, she was just worried about him. He kissed the side of her head and hugged her tighter against him. "I feel so much better, and I know it is because I am home, with you" he said quietly.

Elena sighed. "I just want things to go back to the way they were" Elena told him.

"Before the accident?" Stefan asked.

Elena shrugged slightly. "Before that" she answered. "Before we got married, even. Remember when I first moved in?" Elena asked.

"Yeah" Stefan said, smiling at the memory.