Chapter 2 - Glammed Up

| Savanna |

I stuck my hand in the bag of toffee popcorn and pulled out as many as my hand could carry before shoving them in my mouth. The crunch and sweetness literally filling my body with happiness as I read for the notes my professor at college had sent out for everybody in class to read. I was a biology major and was really interested in going in to medicine, which meant medical school, but I was finding it incredibly difficult to study at home because I was more of a visual learner; I liked lab work over written work basically.

"Savanna! You're still here? You know Samuel is about to arrive sweetheart" My mom announced as she entered the living room, aiming straight for the popcorn bag I had next to me.

"Mom! I was eating them!" I replied, trying to grab it off her but it was no use because I was too lazy to stand up and take it from her. "They're mine now" She grinned eagerly as she began eating whatever was left which honestly was not much.

"You hired Samuel again? Don't you think getting my makeup down is a little extra-" She instantly widened her eyes, her famous tool that scared the living hell out of anybody in reaching distance. "This ball is probably the most important event of the year, it's more important then Christmas!" She exclaimed, see, told you it was extra.

"It is! But I literally don't feel like sitting in a chair for three hours and getting my hair and makeup done when I can just do it myself in an hour" I continued, throwing my arms up for extra exaggeration. She sighed placing the bag down on the coffee table in front of me before coming and sitting down next to me on the couch.

"You have always looked forward to this ball ever since you were old enough to wear a gown, my family literally only still host it because it brings us all together, this is really important to me baby, you know that right?" She spoke, sincerity in her voice making me smile and nod. "And I can't wait to go" I ended, I loved and appreciated my mom too much to let her down. So what if I felt tired and just wanted to be a slob for tonight? But she was right, I loved this night, I looked forward to it every single year but honestly, for whatever reason, I have just not been feeling myself recently. It was just one of those phases, you know.

"Te vas a ver hermosa mi princesa, siempre lo haces (you will look beautiful my princess, you always do)" She said as she tucked my hair behind my ear as I smiled at her. "Eres la mejor, te amo mama (you're the best, I love you mum)" I replied, leaning forwards and kissing her cheek before I jumped up and pulled my hair out of its top knot.

"Let's get glammed up!" I screamed doing a little dance making her laugh as we both left the room.

It was indeed just over 3 hours of glam that I was honestly expecting. Samuel was an amazing makeup artist but he talked so much, it held him back. It was funny watching my mom telling him to speed it up and him just speeding his talking up instead of his actual work. Andrea was our family hair stylist, she did my moms hair all the time because my mom was the type to get her hair done to literally go shopping; she was always dressed to impress. Good for her though, her daughter was dressed to be a mess most of the time.

"Are my girls anywhere near ready?" My dads voice was heard from outside of the kitchen and soon enough, he entered wearing a very dashing tuxedo. It was a black crisp suit with a plain white button up underneath with a bow tie. My dad always knew how to dress, actually, my parents had amazing style; can't say the same for me unless you count sweats and sports bras as 'glam dressing'.

"Ooo look at you Aldo Montano, lookin like a whole man" I sang making everybody in the room laugh, including my dad.

"Thank you, whatever that meant Im sure it was a compliment" He continued before he turned his attention to my mom who was dressed and ready to go. I was left to get dressed but that wouldn't take long at all, unless I ended up hating how the dress looked on me and then it would be a further 30 minutes of crying.