Chapter Twenty-Seven- I Settle A Conflict

Start from the beginning

Lily intercepted his speech then. 

"What's the big deal, West? 'Cause right now, it seems to me that you're having a mood swing, like a hormonal teenager," she stated. 

"You did not just say that," he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

Lily shrugged. 

"I disagree, seeing as I definitely did just say that," she stated. 

"The big deal is that I love you, Lily!" Ulric exclaimed, and then his eyes widened. 

Lily looked astonished, too, and took a step back. 

"You- no, you don't," Lily said, then. 

Ulric just gave a slight shake of his head. 

"With all due respect, Everett, I don't think you get to decide what I do and don't feel," he replied. 

It seemed a little ironic, in all honesty, because he couldn't change the way that Lily felt, either. 

"When did this happen?" Lily asked him. 

"We've been friends for so long and..." he trailed off, with hurt in his eyes. 

"Ulric...I love you, too, but it's not like that," she said then. 

Ulric nodded in partial understanding. 

"I know it's not, because you're gay," he said. 

"'Cause I'm gay," she confirmed, with a breath of relief. 

"Hey Ulric," I spoke up, then. 

He looked towards me with an apologetic expression. 

"I'm sorry, Cooper," he stated. 

"It's okay," I stated, "You two can't let this come between you, okay? Sometimes these things happen and nobody should be blamed for anything here." 

Ulric nodded. 

"You're right. I'm sorry, Lily," he said, turning to her, then. 

"I'm sorry too," Lily replied. 

Ulric managed a smile, but I could still see the sadness in his sight. 

"I'm going to go study," he said decisively, seeming to become a little withdrawn, as he turned and walked away from the both of us. 

I just turned to Lily then, and she looked towards me with concern. 

"I'm sorry, sunshine. I didn't think he was going to say that. I suppose part of me always had a hunch, but I never really focused all that much on it," she stated. 

"Hey, it's all going to be okay," I assured her. 

She just held my hand and her gaze gradually shifted to a more gentle one. 

"Thank you, Selina," she said to me. 

"Always," I replied. 

I soon heard the rustle of leaves under shoes, and the both of us turned to find Lance stood there. 

"Is everything okay?" he inquired. 

Yasmin came to join his side, taking his hand in hers, and entwining their fingers together. 

"Yeah," Lily said, preserving Ulric's dignity, "Everything is okay." 

"Good! Come eat with us," Yasmin said with a smile, and we all wandered back to the picnic table so that we could eat for the duration of lunch.