Chapter Twenty-Five- I Spend The Day with Lily

A few days later, I decided to stay after class so that I could spend some time working a little harder on my new essay- this one was going to be on Virginia Woolf's  Mrs Dalloway. 

As I worked, Mr Jones soon wandered over to me, and I stood up as a gesture of respect. 

"Hi, sir," I said. 

He smiled towards me. 

"Hi, Selina," he replied, "I just wanted to talk to you about your assignment. I think you did really well," he stated, "And as someone who is pretty knowledgeable on what makes a good essay, yours was very well structured, so well done! You should be proud. Go and have fun, you don't have to stay here all afternoon." 

I smiled towards him. 

"Thank you," I told him. 

Mr Jones' hazel eyes looked a little more like warm honey under the glow of the lights above. I could tell that he was a friendly guy, even though I had been too timid to have spoken him all that much since joining the course. 

"Just know you can come and talk to me, about anything, when need be," Mr Jones told me. 

I gave a nod of agreement, and then headed out of the classroom. 

I found Lily waiting for me outside, with a small smirk on her face. 

"Nerd," she said. 

"Hey, I am not a nerd," I stated, as I got my phone out. 

"What are you doing?" she asked me, "Reporting me to the police?" 

I just rolled my eyes at her. 

"I'm just getting in touch with my mother. It's her birthday today," I stated. 

Well, that much was true, but I was  also curious to see how she was doing, too, after everything that Violet had spoken to me about recently. 

I had figured that she wasn't doing great, from the sounds of things. 

They had increased her dosage, and she was beginning to see a therapist regularly again. 

"How is she?" Lily asked me, with concern in her gaze. 

I had told her a lot about present matters. 

Soon I received a text back from my mother's number, but it wasn't she who had replied. 

Violet had informed me that she wasn't doing great, but that they were going to look out for her as much as possible during the day. 

"We should do something for her. For instance, we could get a group of people to go around her house with a birthday cake and spend the day with her."

"It's a couple hours drive, Lily," I reminded her. 

She shrugged, with a small smile upon her face, then. 

"I don't care," she said, "You know that I would do anything for you, right?" 

I couldn't help but smile towards her at that.  I had to respect the fact that although she could be impulsive with ideas like this, she really did look out for others. 

I smirked in slight amusement, but soon felt concern wash over me, when I thought about my mother, again. 

I knew that Lily had lost her mother a while back, and I could only imagine how much that must have hurt her.  

The two of us stepped out into the daylight, and I was thankful that the weather had been a little warmer recently. The frequent rain showers had halted, for a while.