53: Don't Call Him

Start from the beginning

"You realize he probably already knows, right. Your last name goes straight to the top, he probably already got a call", I hoped it wasn't true.

"When can I go home?", I asked as she rolled her eyes at me. Clara was stubborn, she was the stubbornness, I didn't have from my mother.

"You're not going home". She declared as I began ripping the patches off of my chest and arms. She pushed me back down and reattached the sensors.

"You don't understand", I told her as she looked at me like she's heard of it many times before.

"You've been lying to all the people you love, your family, yeah I guess I don't understand", she yelled at me as I felt torn apart, she really didn't understand.

"I don't have family, don't you understand that my mother died, my sister was taken from me, and my father is a maniac, so I'm sorry if you can't understand why I want her back so bad and that I would do anything for her", I yelled at her as the tears fell mercilessly from my eyes. She saw the hurt in my eyes and as much as she pushed, in the end, she was just like Nolan.

"Listen I'm sorry okay, I know how important she is to you, but you can't let yourself get hurt like this", she explained to me and I understood her thinking, but I had priorities, my sister was on top and my health was second. She's the one thing I have left of my mom. She sat next to me softly and held me something that I hadn't felt in a while.

Clara's youth never faded as the grey hairs grew in, she must've been my mom's age when we came to the hospital the first time. She had waited off going to the hospital because they were broke and she was in a toxic marriage. He didn't care about her health, but yet she still stayed.  She still loved him with all her heart, she saw his violent ways but chose to ignore them. She saw the evil behind the mask but didn't want to accept it. She had married her high school sweetheart, married at the beginning of college. She didn't know any different from him, and I wish I had told her she deserved more, but I was too young to see the ways he would manipulate, abuse and make us feel so belittled.

"My shift gets off in 30 minutes, I'll grab your discharge papers and then I'll take you home and see this penthouse of yours", she smiled as she wiped the tears away from under her eyes. I thanked her as she went to grab the doctor.

"Hi, I'm Angela, I'd like to discuss why you're in the hospital", she sat down lightly as she handed me a pair of new clothes.

"Would you like to press charges against whoever did this to you?", she asked me softly. I shook my head softly and she didn't seem surprised. She told me I didn't have to considering I wasn't a minor.

She sat down and talked with me for a while, asking questions from a serious standpoint to something I would ask a friend. I told her I wanted them to keep it, so when I did take him to court I would have evidence.

"I don't want my husband finding out", I told her discreetly as she wrote it down.

"Mrs. Clementé I will do everything in order to make sure he doesn't know, most spouses get upset they came", She said suggesting it was Nolan who was hurting me.

"It's not my husband, whose doing this, I just don't want him to know because I haven't told him", Angela looked at me kindly as she assured me I didn't need to explain who had done it, to her.

"Angela, may I have a word?", the doctor asked as Angela stepped away and went outside joining her. They seemed to be talking as I waited patiently.

"I understand you told Angela, you wanted to know about the damage to your body and that you didn't want to take it the police yet", she asked softly just like Angela, they all walked on eggshells around me, not too loud, not too touchy, they were calm. I nodded ahead not wanting to discuss how little the police could truly help me.

"You had rib damage, it seems to be healing on its own, you had a fractured ankle, which is healing on its own and we stitched your head up, but you may experience that your vision is not yet clear and don't drive for the next 3 weeks, and this may help clear up some scars, but if this happens again please come back", she suggested as I took the cream, I signed myself out as she told the doctor she would look after me.

"So where are we going", Clara asked as she loaded me up in the car and took her personal belongings with me as I wore clothes from the gift shop, as they had taken mine.

"Why don't we grab some food before, it's on me.", I suggested as we picked up some burgers and fries. I pointed her in the right direction as she saw the tall building.

I leaned against her as we got in the elevator carrying our food as we felt the elevator go higher and higher until we heard the ding.

"Wow, this is humongous", Clara looked around as she marveled at the view from the balcony, as the breeze kicked in.
The rest of the night she had asked me questions about my mom, vice versa, and I wanted to know more about Clara. Turns out when I was small I had met Clara's family and friends considering my mom and she had become close.

"Hey Hunny, just wanted to say goodnight", I called him as it went straight to voicemail, he may have already been sleeping.

Clara slept over as I wouldn't let her leave this late at night, she was such a sweet person, and it didn't surprise me that my mom's favorite nurse was Clara.

When I woke up Clara had left for work as I felt the grossness stuck on my body. I stood in front of the mirror as I began taking my shirt along with my loose shorts.

Scars ran down from my ankles to the healing stitches that had been tucked under my hair. My stomach was a light shade of purple as I stung at the pain as I brushed my finger over it.

My shoulders were a light red, I was worthless, bruised, and used just like he said. Nolan would never want me now, I turned my back around as I saw the dark red gash torn up, from his cleated work shoes. I sat in the warm tub, brushing over every impurity I saw from myself.

"Natalie, sorry I missed your call, the crazy times in Dubai", he said as I felt so safe hearing his calming voice, and I wished he was sitting next to me.

"It's okay, it's just really nice to hear your voice", I told him as I smiled wishing he was with me.

"I really miss you", he whispered as I could tell he was in the room with other people.

"I miss you too, when will you come home to me?", I asked him as I urned for his soft touch and the way his words floated off his tongue.

"I'll be back as soon as I can", he responded and then had to leave as one of his many business meetings was happening. I was alone again, nowhere to go and no one to turn too.

The water had turned freezing cold, and the soft plush bubbles had turned into fragrant water. I grabbed a towel and dried my loose ends to each individual toe.

The city sky unraveled and the nighttime came in a swift movement. I grabbed a cup of tea and sat out at the balcony overlooking the city of Seattle. It was peaceful and breezy, and I watched it as the sun set in front of my eyes. The soft breeze put me to sleep soundly as I dreamed of a day where my sister had returned to me.

I just want to clarify that what I was writing isn't how a nurse or any doctor official will treat you at any doctor.

If you or a loved one is in danger, please call the Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-7233

Please know that if you'd like someone to talk too, there are trained people who know how to deal with abuse in all forms.