53: Don't Call Him

Time was something I didn't have as I hauled a cab over to the side of the busy street. The air was musty as I grabbed the top and pulled myself in. The old man smiled at me and asked where I was going. 

"Lawrence Enterprises, please", I said as he typed it in and began driving towards it. My mind spiraled as I felt the burning need to go home but then I remembered why I put myself into dangerous situations. It was all for her, she was the light at the end.

"Going for a job interview?", his question snapped me out and back to reality as I wished I was going for a simple job interview.

"No, you have a nice day sir", I handed him an extra tip as he thanked me and I got out of the bright yellow cabby. The tall building stretched out in front of me as I scaled the length, remembering the times I'd held my mom's hand as she delivered lunch to my dad.

I rushed into the building as I spotted the lobby filled with exuberant plants and people yelling or fussing into their cellular phones. My heartbeat skipped a few as I walked up to the private elevator and the man let me inside. All the way to the top, I pressed.

"It's a bad day you need to go", Margie tried pushing me out of the door as her face slipped as she heard the large-scale door open and the smell of cigarettes filled the air. I heard his heavy footprints as my sister filled my head.

TRIGGER WARNING

"Margie, trying to scare away my guests, that wouldn't be so professional now, would it. We have an appointment today, Marge so if you wouldn't mind leaving us the fuck alone", he said calmly still maintaining his business-like persona as Margie quickly returned to the desk as he ushered me inside of his office, it was dark and just as eery as I remembered it to be.

"I really must find someone to replace Margie, so outspoken and she keeps refusing the bosses for extra favors", he said as he closed the blinds so the room was dark and lonely.

I took a seat on the chair as he locked the door swiftly.

"DID I SAY TO SIT, God everything is wrong with you", he pushed the chair over as pounded into my stomach, his boots leaving imprints as he stepped onto my hands and slapping me harshly.

"YOU ARE JUST AS PATHETIC AS YOUR MOTHER", his boot hit my jaw as I tasted the blood that rushed out of my mouth.

"You're in love with him you bitch, no one could ever love you. You're sour and used. Gross and ugly", the words got to me and I believed them, wouldn't you believe your own father? He grabbed my hair and pulled me onto my knees as I cried out. He grabbed my face and made me face him as he whispered awful things into my ear. He beat me senseless, but this time it was different as I glanced at myself every now and then waiting for him to stop.

I started feeling sleepy as I fell to the floor, but I still felt the kicks and the punches, just everything altered, I shook my body, telling myself to wake up as I watched my helpless body lie there as I let a man beat me till I was unconscious. Fight back, I whispered into the girl I once thought was strong, I wasn't strong, I was worthless.

"Natalie wake up he's coming back", Margie whispered as I pulled myself up off the carpet and felt the wet substance on my forehead. Blood was trickling down my face as Margie wrapped a trench coat around me and handed me a wad of cash. I leaned against her as she put me in the elevator as she checked the corner. Everything was blurry, nothing clear.

I stumbled outside as the sun blinded me and I wandered over to a car as he asked me where I was going, but this time I didn't answer as I felt the world slip around me and I heard horrified screams from the man.