Chapter 28

Alex's P.O.V

I sat outside the family tomb playing with the ends of my sleeves. "Hey." I heard Stefan say and I looked to see him sitting next to me.

"Hey," I said to him.

When I blink he is gone and Caroline and Damon were coming out of the tomb. Caroline gasped and I looked up to Elena with Bonnie. But I didn't smile, I couldn't even if I wanted to. I mean I was happy she was back, but I just couldn't smile. Caroline and she hugged, then Damon saw her. They ran to each other and kissed. I looked down and closed my eyes when I felt tears. I then felt a hand on top of mine and looked up to see Elena.

"Hey there." She said.

"Hello," I said to her quietly. She brought me into her arms and I began to cry again. She rubbed my back.

"I'm so sorry Alex." I just continued to cry and only looked up when she pulled away. "Can I tell you something?" She asked.

"What?"

"I spoke to Stefan before we parted. He had a message for both you and Caroline. It's not the same. But close." She said. "Stefan said he loves you, For Eternity." I smiled at her sadly and then saw Damon come up behind her.

"I got it from here." Damon said and she nodded. Elena looked at me and rubbed my arm. I looked up at Damon and he extended his hand. "Come on," Damon said and I stood up.

We walked in the family crept and up to a golden place that said "Stefan Salvatore. Brother-Husband-Friend-Hero. Born 1848. Now at Peace." I leaned my head on Damon's shoulder. I kissed two of my fingers then placed them on the place slowly.

"I don't think I'll ever be happy again," I said to him and Damon held my hand, then gave it a squeeze.

"I think you will," Damon said and I shook my head.

"No, Damon," I looked up at him. "I really won't." He looked at me and smiled sadly.

"I think you will when you get Klaus back," Damon said and I looked back at the golden place.

"I can't get him back, not like this."

"I know. So, go back to California and raise your kids." Damon said and I looked at him. "Take the time you need to heal because I'm sure Klaus will understand when you tell him why."

"That doesn't mean I'll be happy," I said and he sighed.

"You won't be as happy as you were...but you will be happy," he said and looked down.

"I keep seeing him, Damon. Whenever I'm only I just see Stefan like he's looking after me." I told him and he smiled.

"Maybe he is," Damon said and I began to cry again as Damon brought me into a hug. I looked up to see Stefan standing behind me...smiling.

"I'll always look after you, Alex," Stefan said and I smiled. I closed my eyes and cried into Damon's shoulder as we held onto each other tighter.