Sorries

The silence that hung above them was so thick that he feared his chewing would flare her up.

Lara had come home some minutes after he did and she was very upset, she didn't respond to his greetings and when he tried kissing her cheek she walked past him.

He had visited Cecilia after work and she told him that she was carrying his baby which was shocking because he couldn't remember sleeping with her.

He looked up to Lara and from the way she played with her food he knew something was up.

She stabbed her plantain; the sound slicing through the silence and the grip on her knife was tight that he feared she would use it on him. He reached to touch her hand but she recoiled as though he was poison itself.

"Is everything okay?". Chris asked.

She forced on a smile "I should be asking you that, is every thing okay?".

He shot an eyebrow and placed his cutleries on his plate. "Lara, did you have a bad day?".

"Actually I was having a good day until your mistress showed up in my office".

"My mistress?, I don't have a mistress".

What was she talking about?, He thought to himself.

He let out a sigh of relief when he saw her grip on the knife loosen and his body froze at her next words.

"Well Cecilia showed up at the office today".

His heart rate quickened "Cecilia came to your office?".

Lara nodded "And you know what? She came with some real good news".

He swallowed a lump quickly "What did she say?".

His heart clenched when he saw tears drop from her eyes, she made to wipe her eyes hurriedly but he stopped her by holding her hands.

She removed her hands from his grip "I shouldn't be doing this". She said wiping her tears.

He let out a shaky breathe "What did Cecilia say?".

"She's carrying your baby". She stood.

"She told you?". He whispered to himself but he knew she heard him.

Cecilia told Lara?. Heck! What was she up to?.

"Yes, Cecilia told me she's pregnant".

Chris pressed the bridge of his nose "And you choose to believe her?".

"What am I supposed to believe?". She paced the room and threw her hands in the air. "First you told me your tour was to end on Tuesday, then Cecilia comes to my office and tells me I'm foolish to believe your tales, that you two were together that Monday night".

Chris stood and made to hold her but she stepped back, hurt evident in her eyes.
"Lara, I was drunk".

She let out a humourless chuckle "It would be forgivable if it were someone else, not Cecilia".

He knelt "I swear, nothing happened".

"You wouldn't know that, cause like you said 'You were drunk' ".

"Lara please.."

She interrupted him sharply "Don't ask me to forgive you".

He swallowed hard, this was hard even for him. He knew within himself that nothing had happened between Cecilia and himself. Or did it?. He remembered vividly when he had woken up that...

You were on your boxer briefs, His subconsciousness said.

He woke up on his briefs, two things; either Cecilia had undressed him or she forced herself on him but either way, she had done it without his consent.

"Don't leave, am begging you". The words left his mouth in a breathe.

She scoffed "I won't, cause I know how much this means to me. I'm trying to fulfill my dad's wishes. What happened to no side attachments?".

"So, this". Gesturing to the two of them and ignoring her question he asked "... Is just you trying to keep your dad's wishes?".

"Please, don't act like this isn't like a game to you".

"It isn't". Chris replied.

Lara pressed her lips together as tears he knew she was struggling to hide streamed down her face.

"That was the plan remember?, I shouldn't even be crying.  Hell, Why am I crying?". She sniffled and wiped her eyes.

"Lara...".

"You're now a dad, you should probably settle that with your mistress". Lara said through her tears before she walked out of the dinning room.

               °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
  Be calm. Stay strong. He's not even yours. You're a big girl. Big girls don't cry. She chanted quietly.

But bigger girls do cry, her subconsciousness said.

And she was the bigger girl because she couldn't listen to her own voice as the betraying tears streamed down her face. A feeling of deja Vu hit her as she remembered the night she was in the same spot crying over the same person except this time it felt like she was nursing a broken heart.

Well, wasn't she?.

She buried her face in her palms as she cried. Why did it hurt so much?.

Urmm, maybe because it's Cecilia. Her subconsciousness said making her cry more.

She lifted her head to the sound of the door knob turning, the door opened quietly and Chris popped his head in making her press deeper into the headboard.

"Lara...". He began shutting the door behind him.

"Don't, please don't". Lara pleaded "Right now I need some space".

He strolled towards her in careful calculated steps as though he hadn't heard her. "Just hear me out".

"I don't want to listen to lies". She buried her head in her raised thighs as she tasted the saltiness of her tears, she felt the bed dip as his musk cologne hit her nostrils alerting her of his presence beside her.

"I was a fool for thinking we could be more than what the public think we are". She said in a muffled voice.

He leaned towards her "This isn't about the public, it's about us. Don't you see?. This is what Cecilia wants, she's using us as pawns for her games".

Lara let out a breathe and lifted her head up  "No, she's using you and you let her".

Not relenting, he held her legs "I'm done with Cecilia, all I want is you now".

"That's funny, because you told Cecilia the same thing".

"I'm really sorry for deciding to visit her, I was only planning on talking to her and ending things with her. One glass of wine led to another and I can barely remember what happened, the only thing I remember was Cecilia asking me if she wasn't enough". He let out a sigh "I don't think she's pregnant".

"So, what if she's really pregnant?". Lara asked sniffling.

"I don't know, we could adopt the baby".

"You think? Cecilia wouldn't want that".

He heaved a frustrated sigh "Whatever you want Lara. But I don't want to lose you".

She shook her head and pressed her lips to a thin line "Chris, what are we exactly?".

Sooo, What's the answer?

I'm sorry for taking this long to update.

I'm sorry for keeping you waiting 😔.

Remember to tap the STAR.
Follow, comment and share.
I love you 😘.