Nights

The rest of the event was a blur and thankfully she wasn't going home with Chris, She couldn't deal with her frantic heart beats around him. She had kissed her best friend good bye and had walked Chris to his car when he gave her a light kiss on her forehead.

She screamed into her pillow, her head swimming in all giddiness as the feeling of his lips were still burning on her forehead.

Get a grip, it was just a kiss on your forehead, it didn't mean anything; she told herself harshly.

Or did it?.

Or maybe He just did it because people were watching them disecretly.

Her face fell at the thought of it, because she was right; he was doing it for the public. Why did she feel suddenly disappointed?, She was supposed to hate him.

She sighed heavily as she laid sprawled out on the bed.

Short knocks interrupted her thoughts, the door was pushed open and her mum walked in. Her face was void of the make up she wore for her party and she was dressed in a silk night wear.

"Baby, kilode?, Are you okay?". Her mum asked sitting beside her on the bed.

Lara let out a sigh "I'm fine".

"You didn't go home with your husband?"

"No, I wanted to spend time with you".

Her mum shook her head "You're married now, so your husband should be your priority". She paused. "Mr Okonji invited you to his house warming at Ikeja".

Lara turned to face her mum "Did he say anything about bringing Chris?".

"No... He said you should come alone".

Lara shot an eyebrow "And you want me to go?".

"Lara, kini?, What are you saying?, I don't want you to go there, I don't trust that man".

Lara shrugged "Then, I'm not going"

"But you are going to your husband's house tomorrow, and that's final".

"Arrgh, mummy....".

"I'm fine, go and take care of your home".

                     °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

    Chris drove home to an empty house, of course he had laid off the maids before he left for the party. He knew Lara would be pissed if she found out; but that was least of his problems at that moment. He had series of interviews with his wife the following week and he had not informed her yet, Hell!, He just found out.

He walked out of the car and headed to the house. Oh the peace and quiet he always longed for; a house for just him, his auntie Nkechi and his wife.

His phone rang from his breast pocket, he reached for it. Checking the caller ID, he swiped the phone to pick.
"Yo Kcee, what's up?".

"Is your wife there?".

"Err.. no, why?".

"Guy, you have an interview with The Rita's, you and your wife."

"What?, When?".

"Tomorrow by 10am".

"Tomorrow?, Who does an
impromptu interview on Saturday?".

"It's a live interview, the world will be watching their favorite couple on The Rita's tomorrow and this will really help your publicity status".

"I don't know..... This came too early, I thought my interviews would start on Monday". Chris said pressing the phone between his right ears and his shoulder as he unbuckled his shoes.

"That's not important right now". Kcee paused "Does Lara know about this?".

"I don't know". Chris replied.

"What do you mean'you don't know'?, Where's she?".

"In her parents' house".

"Look, you had better call her and tell her now". With that Kcee hung up the call.

Chris slouched slightly on the couch, Lara had been right; today was a hell of a day. He dialled her number and waited until she picked up.

"Chris?". Her raspy voice asked sending his body tons of messages.

"Um... Hi Lara" Couldn't he make a proper statement?.

She paused for a moment and he could hear ruffling of sheets, oh what he would give to be the bedsheets!.
"Surely You did not just wake me up to say Hi"

He began to shake his head, remembering she couldn't see him he stopped himself "No, Kcee just called to inform me about an interview we have scheduled for tomorrow by 10am".

"Oh!, I'll be home before 8:30 so we can go together".

"That's fine, so... Goodnight!".

"Hmmm, Thank you". She hung up the call .

Thank you?, Who says that?. Chris thought aloud.