sail the world to find you

Anne was sitting with Diana, Ruby, and Josie on her front porch steps. Gilbert had given her some space at her request but not before ensuring she wasn't going to block everyone out again. Anne was infinitely glad he hadn't given up on her. Her breakdown had been relieving, and while she was still sore from the inside out, her soul felt washed anew by her own tears. Though it hurt, she knew now that it was simply her healing. 

Ruby was saying something about Tillie's state of affairs at that moment when she was interrupted by the sound of heavy boots crunching across the snow. Anne looked up through her scarlet lashes and a small smile spread on her face.

"Cole," she breathed happily, standing to greet him with a hug. "I've missed you!"

"I've missed you too, Anne," he responded, releasing her with a sympathetic smile. "As much as Aunt Jo wanted to come, she's in Ottawa for some convention right now. I'm sorry I was late; some art school stuff got in the way."

"I understand. I'm just ecstatic you're here."

"I wish I didn't have to be. I'm so sorry, Anne." He pulled her hand and squeezed it once, releasing it only after she smiled as the other three girls looked at each other in shock. How were they so comfortable touching like that? It simply wasn't proper when she was already courting!

"Aren't you going to greet your second best friend, Cole?" Diana asked playfully.

"Of course I am! Hello, Diana!"

"Why, hello, Cole!"

Cole greeted Ruby politely and Josie coldly, not knowing her recent predicament.

Josie looked hurt for a split second, but she knew she deserved it. She interrupted the pleasantries with a sigh. "Cole, I'm sorry for being so cruel to you two years ago. Neither you or Anne deserved it. I'm proud to say I have grown a little as a person." Cole hid his surprise quite well, smiled, and accepted her apology graciously.

"How is art school going for you?" Anne asked with interest, placing a hand around his shoulders. Ruby, Diana, and Josie -- who were all humorously unaware of his preferences -- gaped at the friends that seemed to be so comfortable with the touches and embraces.

"It's amazing," he gushed blissfully. "All the people are fantastic there! They're so creative and imaginative and it's so much more... um, open then Avonlea ever was. Did you know we might go to France in the spring? I might get to see France!"

"That's great, Cole. I'm so happy for you, really," she said sincerely, though a full hearted smile was still yet to be on her face. She pressed a kiss to his cheek and Ruby almost fainted.

"Anne," Ruby began, her voice trembling and small. "Cole is a boy. Do you think Gilbert would be too pleased about you kissing other boys?" Anne did the math quickly. If Ruby told somebody about her kissing Cole, it would either lead to her being known as a harlot or Cole being outed to the town. Either way, not good.

Cole registered the panic in her eyes and made a split second decision. Ruby was open minded and she wouldn't tell anybody if you asked her not to, but though Josie had changed, he still didn't know whether she'd take too kindly, not realizing that Josie was going through a similar predicament.

"I want to tell them," he whispered to Anne. "But I don't know about Josie."

"She...might surprise you," Anne whispered back. "Trust me, I don't think she will have a problem."

"If you're wrong about this and she ends up ruining my reputation..."

"She wouldn't. It's your decision to make, but I'm just advising you to not worry about it." Anne wished she could tell him about Josie because of their similarities, but she couldn't. It would be a devastating betrayal to the girl.