magic, madness, heaven, sin

When they arrived, Alex, Anne, and Gilbert were met with an astounding chorus of voices. It seemed that they were the last ones to arrive. Everyone was sitting on the grass in front of the roaring fire, not caring a mite about the chilly air. Everyone was gathered around the fire in a haphazard circle except for Moody, whose head rested on Ruby's lap.

Alex was beckoned over to sit by Josie, and Anne took a seat in between Gilbert and Diana at her other side. But before Diana could slide over to be closer to Anne, Charlie slid into the seat beside her, a little to close for Anne's liking.

"Hello, Anne," he greeted with an expectant smile on his face. Anne, a little unnerved, scooched closer to her beau, who wrapped a protective arm around her.

"Problem?" she asked him coolly, making sure to really lean into Gilbert's touch.

"Yeah, problem, Sloane?" Gilbert echoed with a dry chuckle, staring at Anne with an adoration that Charlie balked at. Charlie looked meeker now, excusing himself and stuttering something about getting a drink of water. That didn't stop him from making eyes at the red head all night.

"Looks like I'm not the only one with a two boy problem," Tillie snickered from the left of Josie. Jane elbowed her hard in the ribs, rolling her eyes.

"At least Anne knows whom she loves," Jane jibed, snorting at Tillie's antics. "Any progress on that, Tillie?"

"No," she mumbled, frowning and blushing.

"I should think so. Didn't Paul A. write you quite a romantic love note about your... ahem, voluptuous figure? It was obvious that he was very glaringly alluding to your bosom, Tillie. You are quite a shapely woman."

Tillie looked mortified and looked around to make sure that no boys had heard her as Jane doubled over in laughter, clutching her stomach and wiping her eyes jollily.

"Let's play truth or dare!" Josie proposed, her face lighting up with a mischievous smirk as she eyed Alex next to her with intent. He didn't seem opposed to it and simply returned her gaze with a matching smile. The crowd affirmed Josie's sentiment with a chorus of rousing cheers. Even Diana was in, craving some good teenage fun after spending the day with her uptight family and Minnie May's irksome antics.

Ruby bit her lip, looking around nervously. "Are you sure? We don't want to be too improper..."

"Oh, live a little, Rubes!" Jane encouraged. Ruby looked at her all her best friends having a jolly time before letting loose.

"Okay. Okay!" she repeated, more sure the second time, a radiant and full-toothed grin lighting up her delicate features. "In fact, I'll start!" A cheer erupted through the group, and Moody craned his neck to lovingly kiss her on the cheek.

"Okay, you get up to three passes."

"Wait just a minute," Charlie announced. "Let's make it more interesting. If you skip, you take a drink of this..." He pulled out a hefty bottle of moonshine from his satchel. The group buzzed with exhilaration, a sort of infectious and feverish buzzing of youthful rebellion. After all, a healthy dose of adventure never hurt anyone once in a while.

"God, Sloane, someone would think you're a drunk the amount of times you bring it to the function," Moody said. 

"Diana!" Ruby called out, smiling crystal blue eyes wide and shining. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," she said cautiously.

"Have you ever been kissed?" Diana's olive toned skin darkened a shade, and she looked down. Anne laughed knowingly, but muffled her giggle into Gilbert's shirt.

"That time with Moody playing spin the bottle when we were thirteen?" Diana asked, praying that they would accept the simple answer. 

"Other than that," Ruby said snippily, scowling a bit at the memory, unnecessary jealousy rising to the surface a bit as she recalled his doting adoration of the girl for much of their time at the schoolhouse. Her worries were put to rest when she looked down at Moody to find that his eyes were solely transfixed on her.