dust off your highest hopes

Anne and her companions dismounted the train at Bright River, the cool October wind fluttering their hair and skirts slightly.

"Home," Ruby sighed, looking around with a wistful grin. "How I've missed you!"

"I couldn't have said it better myself, Ruby," Anne agreed, breathing in the familiar aroma. It was as if she could smell Marilla's cinnamon apple pies and Matthew's boot polish and Bash's crab callaloo. She could practically hear the sound of the kettle drowned out by Mrs. Lynde's incessant gossip, and she could practically see Minnie May's tongue protruding out of her mouth at her.

"We still have 8 miles before we're actually back home," Charlie pointed out awkwardly. Everyone turned to glare at him for ruining their much awaited reunion with the place they loved so. "Okay, okay, no need to be so aggressive." He stepped back, hands up in surrender.

Just around the corner, a multitude of carts and carriages belonging to all their families come to pick them up were idly waiting. With scanning eyes, Anne and Gilbert quickly spotted their families together, chatting pleasantly. As soon as she spotted them, Anne hitched up her skirts and all but sprinted to them.

"Marilla! Matthew!" She held on to the top of her hat, waving it around to attract their attention. When they heard her shrill and happy call, a wide smile spread over the elderly siblings' face. Anne ran straight into Matthew, hugging him with a passion unrivaled with Ruby's gentle embrace or Diana's acknowledging curtsy to her parents. Anne then moved to embrace Marilla with a kiss on the cheek. Gilbert moved to Bash and Delphine, embracing Bash with a brotherly clap on the back and taking Delly from him.

"Uh-cah Guh-Buh!" she cooed, and Gilbert looked at his niece in amazement and adoration.

"Delly, you can talk, can you? What a smart girl!" He kissed her on the forehead, ruffling her small tendrils of dark brown hair affectionately.

Meanwhile, Anne stared at both her parents in utter adoration. "I missed you both ever so much!" she exclaimed, wiping at the tears building in her eyes.

"Well now, we missed you too," Matthew stated gruffly. "Glad to see you using the travel fund."

"Of course!" Anne said. "I don't think I'd be able to live if I couldn't visit Green Gables. After all, it's my first home."

"We're glad to hear you say that, Anne," Marilla beamed, wrapping Anne in another hug, bending down slightly to kiss her on the forehead.

"And..." Matthew exchanged a look with Marilla. "I imagine we're not the only ones you're excited to see today." Anne flushed pink, unconsciously fiddling with the charm on her bracelet. She turned to glance over at her darling Gil, watching for a moment as he caressed and played with young Delphine, a loving smile on his face as the little girl reached out and grabbed one of the messy curls hanging over his forehead. He laughed jauntily as he cooed at her. For a moment, she was hit by a rather pleasant image, though astonishing that she would even think of it. She shook it out of her head, repercussing herself for such frivolous and unrealistic fancies. She was not yet even seventeen, and Gilbert had years of medical school!

"Now, what's that on your bracelet, Anne?" Marilla asked, hoping she hadn't been spending unnecessary money on foolish trinkets. The simple pearl necklace that she had bought for Anne was a very serviceable piece of jewelry, no unnecessary embellishments.

"Oh," Anne said, holding it up gently. "Gilbert gave it to me."

"Well now, he must've spent a pretty penny on that," Matthew remarked, admiring the small yet shining gem stone.

Anne rolled her eyes. "I know. I told him not to bother, but what can you do?" She looked at him with Bash and Delphine once more. He met her eye and smiled brightly, winking at her. She lifted her fingers in a wave of sorts, the bright spark of young love in her silvery eyes not going unnoticed by Marilla.