darling, you're the one i want

Dearest Gilbert,

Oh, how your last letter made me blush! I could barely contain myself reading it, though Diana and Ruby were in my presence. They immediately guessed that it was from you, and I was brought back to that time where I explained to Marilla that there was nothing romantical about your letter from Trinidad at all. Oh, how the tables have turned!

Your lasciviousness is something that I do not mind, to be completely honest. Marilla was showing me some of her old things and I came across some letters from an old lover of hers and you will not believe what I found! Our parents were courting when they were our age, dearest! It seems as if the universe had to separate them so that we might be together. It's so perfect, and I've found that your father was just as, if not more, risquè than you in regards to his love letters. I've found that Marilla used to be a spritely and intrepid woman when she was young. Isn't it tragical? A maiden's lively spirit ruined by the perils of a most untimely death and a scandalous romance.

Anyways, wouldn't it be a fright if my children or your children found these? Or Marilla? They'd jump out of their own skins!  I do hope to give them something to titter about after we're long gone...

Gilbert, life here in Charlottetown is a thrill. All my loveliest relations (except you) are close to me now. It has such freedom (except for Mrs. Blackmore's rules, she was christened 'Mang' by Jane and Ruby). Being a college girl fills my heart with such joy and the campus has such scope for the imagination, but I cannot help but feel that something is missing without you. Every time I go to English class, my heart can't help but wring in its cavity (is that what it is called?) when I'm not met with your infuriating yet adorable smirk every time either one of us answers a question. I miss that smirk more than life nowadays, imagining your dark lips upturning, hazel eyes that look almost like emeralds in the sun light filling with playful teasing, light glinting off your enrapturing shiny dark curls. I could just die thinking about it, Gil! How ever shall I live till Thanksgiving in October without you? Even then, you'll be able to stay for only a day and that makes my heart ache!

Darling Gilbert, do you really find me so splendid as to be your fairy queen? Never would I have imagined in my most fantastical dreams that you, Gilbert Blythe, the love of every girl in Avonlea, would be calling the plain and homely orphan next door 'your' anything, yet alone a mystical fairy queen. Princess Cordelia is a mere palace handmaiden compared to Faerie Queen Anne, the wise and imaginative ruler of the Canadian fairyland with her partner and life mate, King Gilbert, by her side always. It's a rather nice fantasy, if you don't mind me saying.

I am also pleased to inform you that I think that one of my professors, Mrs. Aimee, is most definitely a kindred spirit. She's moved me up to her advanced creative writing class that is usually for her second year students, and I'm having a splendid time! She's given me names of magazines that I might be interested in submitting stories for and thanks to you, I have the most perfect idea! Queen Annabella, the venturesome queen of the moors, has been a sage and solitary ruler for years, never succumbing to the temptations of love. But all of a sudden, King Gilberto from the neighboring kingdom wanders into her life, stealing his way into her heart. Together, they must battle the evil and unjust tyrant king. That's all I've written so far. It's based off of personal experience, can you tell?

I do give you permission to tell Mrs. Lynde or scream it off the roof top, whatever pleases you, but I do beg of you to be gentle. I am just bracing myself for the unbecoming gossip that will inevitably buzz around the town. Why did the eligible young man break things off with the rich and charming debutante for the skinny orphan, they'd ask? Did she seduce him, perhaps? Maybe her heathen ways have corrupted him also! Despite your insistence, I too ask myself these questions.