people throw rocks at things that shine

Anne and Gilbert, after 10 or 15 minutes of pleasant chat, bade farewell to Mrs. Stacy. After all, they'd see her again in a couple short hours!

"Gilbert," Anne said a little apprehensively while chewing the inside of her cheek, smoothing out her skirt. Since she had started wearing long skirts, it had become a nervous habit.

"Anne?" he responded, a look of mild concern on his face.

"I think... I think I don't want to wait until dinner to tell people." Surprise, very joyful surprise, crossed his face. She had been so anxious about it before, and he didn't want to pressure her, but now she wanted to tell people without any push from his side?

"Really? Why the sudden change of mind?" Gilbert couldn't shake his excitement and Anne laughed, thinking that he looked a little bit like a happy little puppy.

"Talking with Mrs. Stacy made me truly realize that... I don't care what people say anymore. I've lived my whole life with people telling me that I'm not enough, thinking that nobody loves me and that I'd have to hide who I am to be liked. When I came to Avonlea, I saw that it wasn't true, that I could be loved for who I am and people wouldn't be ashamed of me. Now, all that matters to me is the people who love me -- like Mrs. Stacy -- and will accept all the courses I take in life and that I should only place weight on their words. I realize now that if I could tune out the girls at the asylum, I can tune out gossiping old biddies too, as long as I have you by my side."

"So does that mean I can hold your hand?" he asked, eyes mirthful and smile wide.

"Yes, Gilbert," she laughed, shaking her head. "That means you can hold my hand, but I have a better idea. So the town doesn't talk." She laced her arm through his and linked their elbows together like the final two pieces of a puzzle. She placed her other arm on top of his, pulling him forward. He held the bag of flour in his other arm.

"See? Much more proper," she added with an affirmative nod. "We'd better get going. What would Marilla assume if we were late?" 

As soon as they were out of the shaded sanctuary of wood that Mrs. Stacy's forest home provided, soon enough they heard the chatter that Anne had been bracing herself for. Mrs. Andrews, who was watering her petunias in the garden, let out a surprised gasp. She wiped her hands and headed out, no doubt to go and gab about it to Mrs. Lynde or Mrs. Pye. Many more stared at them after that.

But overall, reactions were surprising to Anne. Sure, there were always naysayers. Lucille Pye looked on with a haughty scoff, and Minnie Sloane's old-fashioned views about courting led her to disapproval as well. But overall, things were looking overwhelmingly positive for Anne. 

Mrs. Gillis smiled at them with a nod of her head, seeing the same look in their eyes as when her Ruby looked at young Moody. Mrs. Andrews, despite her qualms, was ecstatic to see that free spirited and untrammeled Anne could be in a serious relationship as well as be an educated woman. Even Mrs. Barry accepted it grudgingly, knowing that her Diana would be nothing but supportive of her bosom friend, and out of the corner of her eye, she saw Mr. Barry shoot Gilbert an encouraging grin and thumbs up. 

She murmured to Gilbert, "I didn't expect them to be so..."

"What? Nice?"

"Yes," she said honestly. "I honestly thought most of them still didn't like me."

"You have been unpopular in the past, but you're a tried and true Avonlea girl now. Of course this town loves you.  After everything you've given it, how could it not?"

After about a half hour of procrastinating returning home, they reached Green Gables. It was time for them to bid each other adieu till dinner.

"Time to part ways," he whispered, letting go of her hands gently, if reluctantly.