Did Emily Just Growl?

I walked in a little past ten and saw Older Emily’s back facing me at the sink. The tiny little light over the sink cast a glittery sparkle to her hair.  She was obviously doing the dishes when I heard a huge glass plate fall in the sink. 
    “How was your date with Gino?” She asked without expression.
    “Amazing! Gino has to be the funniest guy I know!” I answered remembering the wonderful night Gino gave me.
    “So you really like him?”
    “Oh yeah. . . He tells me I’m great, funny, beautiful. . . everything.”
    “Any guy can say that.”
    “But I know Gino means it, you could just tell, ya know?”
    “Yeah sure I know.” She muttered sullenly.
    I got up and starting through the hallway to the steps to go to bed when I heard a growl behind me.

    Did She just growl at me?

    “Emily, did you just growl?” I asked turning around in the dark hallway. I walked back into the kitchen to see that Older Emily was giving a huge black dog a full steak. The dog was huge! Like a bear! If not bigger! He had black fur like the night and had yellowish brownish eyes. He was beautiful in the most scariest of ways.
    “Is that a dog or a bear?” I asked still stunned. Emily looked up from where she was petting the bear like dog.
    “It’s a dog silly!” She rubbed behind his ear and his back leg started to go. It felt like a earthquake was about to happen.
    “Where did he come from?” I asked, I have never seen this kind of dog before.
    “Oh. . . He uh. . . He’s Sam’s. Sam has a whole bunch of these dogs at his place.” She answered, something was wrong.
    “I thought you and Sam lived together?”.
    “We do”. She answered with slight hesitation.
    “Then why did you say ‘at his place’?”.
    “Oh well. . . what I meant was uh. .  .” She trailed off.
    She looked down at the beast and looked into his eyes and he did the same. It looked like they were talking through their gaze..
    Finally Older Emily looked back up at me and answered, “There’s this kennel outside of LaPush where you can keep your dogs if your away. So when Sam moved in with me he couldn’t leave his dogs so he put them there”. Liar. 
    “Oh ok then, goodnight.” I wished her,  when the bear/dog gave me a look that said either leave or your dinner. I knew for a fact Emily was lying though, she’s one of those people where if you ask her a question and she had to lie, she wouldn’t be able to pull it off. Her face expression tell the whole story. But I let it go tonight because I was too tired to keep arguing and I was too scared of that dog.
    I walked up the steps to my room, when I remembered I had to pay Sam back for tonight. It ended up I didn’t need it because Gino paid for me at the movies, he’s so thoughtful that way.
    I walked down the hall to Sam’s and Older Emily’s room when I heard the television on inside. Sam must be in there if Emily’s downstairs.
    I knocked once. No answer.
    I knocked again. No answer.
    I gave up and walked in to find an empty bed with no Sam in sight.