Boy at the Market

The local market in La Push was nothing like the local market in Chicago. Here in this small, dreary town was a small wooden house with a skinny tin roof, but it seemed even smaller on the inside. I walked in and an old, grey women was at the counter listening to the radio, the wind from the nearby window blowing on her softly. When you walked in the aromas of all the spices mixed together and smell of the oak wood that made up the walls hit you like a ton of bricks. I unfolded the crumpled list that Older Emily wrote for me so I wouldn’t forget anything:
                                                                                    milk    
                                                                                   eggs 
                                                                         2 paper towels
                                                                               cinnamon
                                                                        2 sticks of butter
                                                                                 cheese
     I grabbed the milk from the cooler and grabbed the eggs that were close by. I walked over to the front of the store to grab the paper towels when a olive skinned boy grabbed the last one.
    It was strange to see a boy that wasn’t Quileute in La Push. I looked up from the hand and saw a boy that had golden brown hair that shaped his face perfectly and soft brown eyes. He looked at me at that moment and smiled a very different smile. It was as if it drew me into daze.
    “Here you can have them, I don’t really need them. It was just on the list.” he held up a folded piece of paper and laughed a bit. I didn’t really know what to do or say so I just held up my list too and laughed a little. He understood that towels where on my list too and smiled. I took the paper towels and muttered thanks and walked away.
    I was annoyed with myself  because I realized that I was nervous in front of this boy. I usually never get nervous in front of boys anymore. Why was I now? Was because I liked him? No I cant think a guy is cute then automatically like him without even meeting him.
    I turned the corner and a gust of fragrances rushed at me. I tried to use my nose to find the cinnamon but my hands found the spice first. I grabbed the small jar and went to the dairy part of the small market again to get butter. I saw that the boy was back there too and I stopped to slow down my pace and look casual. I bent down to grab the butter and cheese behind the glass when the boy said something that caught me by surprise.
    “You’re really pretty, ya know that?”
    “Uh. . . Um. . .thank you” I replied putting the cheese and butter in my basket.
    “So you to hangout sometime?” he asked me with a hint of flirt in there. I stared at him for a moment, shocked at his forwardness.
    “Y-Yeah sure, I’d love too” I gave him one of my best smiles to cover up all the butterflies trying to escape my stomach..
    “Great, here’s my number you can call anytime” he said with a wink that left me speechless, then turned and left the store without anything.
    I walked up to the lady at the counter. She had glasses on and a an old sweater. She took my things and she didn’t even have a computer or anything, all she did was do the math in her head and told me the price.
“Four dollars and fifty-two cents” she grunted from her place behind the counter. I pulled out the money Older Emily gave me and handed it to the lady. She counted the money and bagged my items into a paper bag. I thanked her and left the tiny market.
    I walked down the road that led back to Older Emily’s  when I notice  what a strange boy that was in the market. How bold of him to come up to me and just say I’m pretty like that and give me his number. I read the number to myself, making sure it had all eleven digits, last thing I wanted was to be scammed. I should feel a little shocked and surprised that this boy, I don’t even know the name of, gave me his number. . . but instead I felt happiness and excitement fill me.