Chapter Sixteen

Começar do início

Chandler would no doubt spill. I didn't think I could go through another round of ′let's break-Millie's legs' episode.

Castle slowly placed me down. My heels touched the floor.

I walked to where his little brother was standing, her big apple-green eyes watching me as I stepped in front of him.

"Chandler, what you saw here was nothing. Castle and I were only talking to each other."

"With his hands in your panties?" He snapped.

I stood there, shell-shocked. That sounded nasty coming from was an innocent-looking eleven-year-old spoilt rich brat.

"It's not what you think. I promise. Castle wasn't feeling well inside the ballroom, so I brought him here." I explained.

He looked directly at Castle, ignoring what I'd just said. "Devin said we're leaving the party soon. You better eat up your dinner or you're going to be starving when you get home."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure he eats." I assured him.

Chandler frowned. "I wasn't talking to you."

His rudeness was next level. I don't remember hating a kid so much before. Chandler was extremely moody. Sometimes he wanted to play board games with me, and then sometimes he treated me like I was a garden insect.

We returned to the party with Chandler, had our dinner, which was a long buffet of gourmet food, and then Devin told me we were going to leave early.

I was thankful for not getting caught up in any drama.

* ~ *

Three days had passed, and I had heard nothing from Devin. How could Chandler possibly shut his mouth about what he'd witnessed at the party? It was hard for me to assume that this had something to do with luck because I wasn't lucky by a long shot.

I tried to keep Castle's hands off me after being seen at the party, just to be on the safer side, but all I could think of was Castle's mouth on mine and the delicious way his hands would roam all over my body. It was hard to keep myself from fantasizing about what we could be under normal circumstances.

If Castle had been well, would he still desire me? These questions continued to pop up in my mind, refusing to let go.

I sat in the room's darkness with only my thoughts to keep me company.

There was a soft knock on the door.

It was Castle.

I'd successfully avoided his night visitations by not answering the door, but it was proving to be hard when all I wanted to do was to allow him inside. I also had these questions in my mind that preoccupied my mind.

What if Castle had been the same with the caregivers here before me? What if he did the same with them and Devin had killed them for touching his brother?

I'd done some research on the previously employed nannies. Most of them seemed to be in their late thirties or forties. There were only two who were as young as me. Three of which had died tragically. Two others had left the job. Nobody under the Montgomery employment was allowed to quit their jobs. According to what I'd learned, they either ended up dead or stayed on the estate. There were far too many secrets buried within the family, and Devin didn't want it to be leaked outside. After all, they had a reputation to keep. No matter how nice the outside world thought they were, the truth was that they were beyond fucked up. There was something bad going on, but I was yet to find out what.

Another soft knock brought me back to reality.

I asked him to come inside.

Castle stepped into the room. He wasn't wearing a shirt and only a pair of sweatpants on his hips. My eyes glazed over as I took in the vast expanse of his brawny chest, the muscles, and the set of abs that looked almost sculpted.