Chapter Fifteen

It was a late Friday afternoon, which was usually time to read Castle some books. I'm not sure if he understood what was being read because most of his attention was fixated on my breasts, not that I had a problem with that. Reading books for him was part of my job and I enjoyed doing it.

I didn't understand why I was being summoned into Devin's study so suddenly. It was usually the last place I wanted to be.

He sat behind his desk, wearing a beige shirt with a few buttons undone from the top, and emerald eyes that were haunted by horrors of this mansion.

"How are your legs now?" Devin asked me, cheerfully, as if he hadn't witnessed his sister beating the shit outta them and he hadn't just locked me up in the basement after that.

"They are fine." I said, "all thanks to your perfect medical care." I added sarcastically.

Devin laughed, running his hand through his hair. "we take teaching our lessons to the rebels very seriously, but I'm genuinely glad that it worked out, Millie. You seem to have adapted to your life now."

I just smiled in response. If I had a gun, I'd be happy to put a bullet in his handsome face.

"Well, the reason I asked you to come here is because of a party invitation that we received. It's at Beckett's house tomorrow evening." He said, "The Beckett's are an influential family, much similar to ours, and my father used to have a good relationship with them."

"I will stay home with Castle. Don't worry."

Devin shook his head, "the invitation specifically asked all family members to come for the party. They obviously do not want Castle to be left out because he is the oldest son of this family and they knew him since before he lost his memories. He's expected to show up." He continued, "That's where you come in. Winston will deliver a dress and a pair of shoes for you this evening. I need you to wear it tomorrow and look presentable. Penelope can help you with anything else that you may need. Your job at the party would be to keep Castle company. He doesn't do well at parties, especially where there are many people."

"I understand," I said.

"Great." Devin smiled like he was an angel with the halo on his head, but in reality, he was a spawn of Satan.

"I would like to leave, if that's all. Castle is waiting for me in his room, as it's his reading time." I climbed to my feet and made my way towards the door.

I just needed an excuse to get away from Lucifer.

"Wait a minute, Millie," Devin called out to me again.

I stopped short and turned.

"If Castle does any drama at the party, I'm going to hold you responsible for it. Explain to him the kind of behavior that is expected of him during the gathering. Drill it into his brain, if you have to."

"I'll make sure he's on his best behavior," I assured him.

"Oh, and one more thing, Millie."

Now, what asshole?

"I should probably just warn you. If you try to devise any plan for escaping, I'll know. And the consequences of your actions shall be dire."

"I won't try to escape, Devin, because I really want to help you with Castle. I'm taking responsibility as his caregiver very seriously."

Devin looked shocked for a minute. "I'm impressed. Keep that up, Millicent, and I'll give your phone back. Hell, I'll even take off the anklet."

"If that's the case, Devin, I promise you, I won't cause any trouble."