Chapter 8~~Is That Really You?

"Jacob? Is that you?" I called desperately, now really wishing I could see.

"Jayme it's me! Can't you see?" He said as he ran up to me and hugged me strongly.

"I thought you were dead." He whispered into my hair. I hugged him back. My boyfriend was alive.

If I could freeze time in this moment I would. Jacob and I hugged for what felt like days. I hadn't realized until we separated, but I was crying. Tears of joy and sadness. He was alive but I would never see him. How had he survived anyway? I saw him get bitten! Right in the shoulder. This didn't make sense.

I was about to ask him what happened but he asked me one first.

"What happened to you?"

"I should ask you the same." I replied.

"That day I had the afternoon shift, I got locked out. I met Dale, Amy and Andrea and the groups just been growing." I told him I wiped the tears from my essentially dead eyes and he tucked my hair behind an ear.

"What happened to your cheek?" He asked. I raised a hand to my cheek and felt dried blood.

"You try walking around blind all the time. It ain't easy." I said with a laugh. My eyes widened and I covered my mouth with a hand.

"Fuck." I murmured behind my hand.

Andrea, Shane and Amy turned silent. They had been talking amongst themselves about what was happening but I felt their eyes burn into me. Shane knew but he must have been surprised.

"You're blind?" Amy asked.

"How?" Andrea chirped in.

Jacob remained silent. I knew he was confused. I could imagine him rubbing his forehead and looking at his feet. I pictured Amy's mouth open in shock and Andrea's hand on her chest. Shit, I should have watched my mouth.

I felt the blood rush out from my feet and felt faint.

"Over by the fire pit." I said quietly as I guessed the direction and began to walk. Jacob took my arm and led me to the car bench we set up. I sat and wiped a tear from my eye as I felt him sit beside me.

We sat in silence for a moment before Amy spoke.

"When did it happen. It can't have been before we found you, you directed us here and had perfect shot."

"No. It was last week." I said simply to my lap. I couldn't lift my head. I had no energy. I felt Jacob take my hand and squeeze it.

"The day we found Lori, Shane and Carl. With the bombs in the city." I spoke so weakly. My voice was so broken and odd I didn't recognize it.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Andrea asked.

"I couldn't."

"Yes you could!" Andrea insisted.

"You think we'd throw you to the walkers? We'd never do that! I thought you knew that!" Andreas words stung. She was right to be mad but they still hurt. The tears began to flow freely and I felt Jacob hug me from the side. I turned into him and cried into his shoulder. I never cried. Ever. But this broke me.

"And then you lie your way through all this! You think we are horrible huh? Maybe we will be then!" Andrea seemed to be screaming but in my head she was distant.

"Andrea enough." It was Shane. Of all people I wouldn't think he'd defend me.

"Shut up Shane." Andrea hissed.

"Andrea, calm down." Amy soothed her sister. She never seemed to be angry of rude. She was like the anchor.

"Lets go get something to eat." She suggested and I heard them both walk by. Soon enough the sobs subsided and I heard someone walk up behind me.