Chapter 5 ~~ Aftermath & Arrivals

The image of the sick hung in my head as the sounds of grunts of the others rang out in the afternoon air. I peeked out the window to see Dale smashing one of them in the head with a large rock. There were at lest ten.

I turned away, in fear of seeing something I didn't want to. Minutes passed. The sounds outside grew fainter. Suddenly there was a scream followed my sobs. Donna shot out from under the table and out of the RV. I sat in silence looking to Carol and the kids to make sure they hadn't left either.

The RV shifted and Glenn walked in. I sat up and Carol stepped out from under the table.

"Daniels been bitten." He said solemnly. Blood was spattered on his clothes and face and his hands were covered.

I sat there for a minute processing the information.

"Was anyone else?" I asked slowly, my mind still racing.

"No, we don't have much time so if anyone wants to say goodbye, now is the time." And with that Glenn left the RV leaving Carol, the kids and I alone.

"I'll be right back." Carol said before walking out to say her farewells.

"What happened?" Ben asked.

"I'm not sure. I guess some of the sick came and got Daniel." I told him stating the obvious.

They all stayed silent from then on. I stared up at the wall until Carol returned. With that I turned on the bed and hung my feet over the edge.

"Jayme dear, you can't stand yet! Yet alone walk! Stay and rest." Carol said shooing me back to my sitting position.

"Carol, I have to someday and it has to be soon. I'm fine." I insisted placing my feet on the floor. I slowly stood using my left hand for balance against the wall. It was going well until I removed my hand. I bean to topple over and the only thing that stopped me was Carol.

"Thanks." I huffed as she guided me back to the bed. She turned back to the kids and ushered them out of the RV.

"Carol?" I asked just before she left.

"Yes Jayme?"

"Tell Daniel I say thank you."

Carol nodded and I lay back and closed my eyes and fell into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

It had been a week since the sick came to our camp. No other groups had come. There was the occasional stray but other than that, nothing. I had since gained back my strength and could now walk and run. It was more of a hobble but sufficed.

The day was drawing to a close and we all sat around the fire discussing plans for tomorrow.

"So Dale, Amy, Andrea and I go to the city, gather supplies and scout out how many sick are there?" Glenn clarified after we had gone over the plan several times over.

"That's it. Simple." Dale stated leaning back into the lawn chair.

"I want to go too." I said firmly, this was the first thing I said all day.

"Jayme, no. That's ridiculous! You've just been able to walk around, you can't run into Atlanta!" Donna argued furrowing her eyebrows.

"Apart from Jim, I'm the only one who knows the city well. I lived tree every summer for God sakes!" I exclaimed standing from my bench. We had removed the back bench from Allen and Donna's van and used it out here.

I walked into the RV and sat at the table resting my head in my hands. After awhile I heard Glenn sit across from me.

"Amy says she and Dale don't need to come. They say they'd be better use here. We voted and think you should come."