Chapter 6 ~~ Meet And Greet

"Oh yeah fine, thanks." I assured Andrea. She snaked her hand around my waist and led me back to the camp.

"That Shane guy is pretty hot huh?" She whispered. This was funny to hear, even when the dead have risen, girls still talk about hot guys. However, for me, this topic couldn't be worse.

"Meh, I've seen better." This wasn't a total lie. I had seen better in my life. It was off topic, as I was talking about sight in general, not looks of a man. I knew Shane was right, I had to tell them sooner r later but to be honest, I preferred later.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." Andrea apologized, probably remembering my boyfriends death in Atlanta.

"No, it's fine." I assured her. I smelled smoke nearby and figured we were near the fire pit. I felt a seat leg with my foot and sat. I fidgeted with my sling until a voice behind me said.

"Hi, I'm Lori, and this is my son Carl. Thank you for letting us come with you."

I turned to face her.

"We'll see how this works out. Anyway, I'm Judith, everyone calls me Jayme though."

"What happened to your arm?" A boys voice asked. I assumed this was Carl.

"Carl!" Lori scolded.

"No, no. Its alright. It was just an accident in Atlanta." I said plainly, not wanting to have to explain everything.

"What kind of accident?" He asked. This boy was stubborn. Very stubborn.

"You know that big beige wall you saw around the city?"

"Yeah."

"I fell off that." I told him. This was all he would know. This was all I would say. To ensure that I stood and felt my way around the seat. I knew the RV was a few yards from the back of the seat so I made my best guess and began walking.

I soon felt a hand grab my arm and pull me slightly to the right.

"This way Hun." Lori said.

"I know how to walk Lori." I assured her faking a laugh. Did she know? I hope not.

"Jayme, I can tell you're blind. I have... Er Had a friend who was blind. I can tell by the subtle eye twitches." This was hard to hear. If a woman I had met not two hours ago knew, how long would it be until my friends knew.

"Lori, can we talk in the RV?" I asked.

"Of course." She turned from me and called to Carl.

"Carl, why don't you go meet the other kids! Be nice!"

"Ok Mom." He replied and I heard footsteps and felt Lori squat down. I assumed they hugged and Carl ran off. I heard greetings of children and smiled.

"At least they're having fun." I said my smile fading. Lori grabbed my arm again and led me into the RV. She sat me at the table and then sat across from me.

"Were you born with it?" She asked flat out. Wow, this woman didn't hesitate.

"No, it was earlier today. Just before you, your son and... Boyfriend?" I explained not sure what her and Shane were. Shane acted like they were a couple but if this woman's husband was recently dead I couldn't imagine her dating this soon.

"Oh no Shane's just a... Friend." she assured.

"But anyway, if it only happened today, it must come back."

"I hope you're right."