Chapter 2 ~~ Into The City

Four days have passed since that first night. It turns out I had been worried for nothing. The minivan was just another family, a man named Allen, his wife Donna and their twin boys Billy and Ben.

I have to say it seemed like we were going to be alright for awhile. We dug through the RV and two cars and it turned out we had two tents, a lantern, enough food for two weeks and cleaning supplies for clothes. There were also my two guns and a shovel for weapons. Not great but it would have to work.

It was Sunday by my count and September fourth. We had Andrea keep a calendar for comfort reasons. We pitched the tents so we could finally get out of the RV and cars for a night. Allen turned out to be a good shot so we thinned our guard duties to two hours each overnight between Allen, Dale and I.

I was walking down to the stream in the forest to get some water to boil when I found a freshly dead squirrel at the foot of a tree. It's neck was at an odd angle and I guessed it fell. I figured I'd inspect it at camp and brought it back with me.

Upon careful inspection my Dale he deemed it safe to eat and I sat alone by the small fire cooking it. I saw Andrea sit in the lawn chair across form me and stared into the fire.

"Something on your mind?" I ask poking the embers with a wooden stick we used for the fire.

"Not really. I was just wondering what happened in Atlanta you know? Now you have me curious."

"Well, it's only about two by my guess so we've got six full hours of light. Wanna go up there? They might have just had a scare and be fine and maybe let us back in. If not we can check for others too, they'd be at the gate I bet." I looked up at Andrea hoping she'd agree with me.

She stayed quite for a moment.

"I guess, but not long. Just enough to talk to whoever is there and then right back."

I rolled my eyes.

"You act like I'm a three year old and you're telling me go get something. I think I can handle myself." I told her chuckling while I pulled out the squirrel.

"Looks well cooked enough to me. I'll tell Dale to serve it at supper." I said standing up and making my way to the RV.

Andrea watched as I walked over to Dale up top of the RV, he now had a little bachelor pad thing going on up there. There was a lawn chair and umbrella along with a gun holder.

"Hey Dale." I said squatting next to him.

"Ah, Jayme decided to visit eh?" He asked looking at me.

"You sound like a Canuck more and more every day you old Yank." I told him in a ridiculous Canadian accent and should him playfully in the arm.

"Oh yeah. You know I'm not that old." he stated defensively staring me down with those Santa like eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen, Andrea and I were planning on going up to the city again to see if we can talk to them or pick up anyone else." I told him praying he wouldn't turn the idea down.  

Dale just stared at me. He looked deep in thought. He never spoke he simply thrust the riffle into my arms.

"No this is better for further targets. You need it here. I'll take the pistol and a shovel. Andrea and I will be back before dark." I stood and climbed down the ladder. I told Andrea we'd been given the go ahead and she went to start one of the cars. I took a moment and changed into my riot gear just in case we met some trouble.

The ride up was quiet. Andrea just drove in silence. I watched the trees flash by until they thinned to field and then to road. We soon arrived at the main gate. I told Andrea to stay while I checked out the scene. I took the pistol and left her the shovel. I ran up to the barricades and saw no one, I climbed over them to the base of the guard tower. No one there either. My stomach twisted as recognition hit. Something must have happened. That or their guard system was completely horrible.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Andreas yells. They didn't seem I'm fear though, more warning. I turned to her and confusion must have been evident on my face because she signaled me to turn around. I did and saw a face looking back.

I drew my pistol quickly and aimed it at the mans head. To my surprise it wasn't a dead face. It was alive. Very alive.

"Who are you?" I demanded not lowering my pistol. I heard a car door slam and heard Andrea's footsteps behind me. I took this time to quickly climb down from the tower, once I hit the ground I re-aimed my pistol.

"I'm Glenn." the man said holding his hands up slightly.

"I was just getting supplies from the city." he told me gesturing with his head to the bag at his feet.

"How'd you get in?" I asked.

"There's a crack in the wall. On the east wall to be precise. My guess is that's how the first ones got in." Glenn explained. His breathing was labored and he kept looking from the gun pointed to his head back to me then to Andrea. I lowered it slowly an looked at him.

"The first of what?" I asked.

"The walkers." he stated matter-of-factly.

"Walkers?" I asked.

"You know those things that try to kill us." Glenn replied as if I were two.

"What? They got into Atlanta! Are the people ok?" I asked my eyes wide and my voice panicked.

"Here, I'll show you." Glenn told me picking up the bag and walking to the large wall. There was a rope attached to the top and he began to climb, not bothering to see if we were following.

Andrea walked passed me until she realized I didn't move.

"Jayme, common." she said looking at me. I didn't move. I couldn't. She tugged at my arm to make me move and dragged me to the wall. She took hold of the rope and climbed. After she had a decent lead I followed hesitantly until I  reached the top.

The sight I saw horrified me so much I nearly passed out right there.

A/N Hope you like this chapter, much shorter than the last but still... The next one has MUCH more drama