Chapter 1: Practice Makes Perfect

Iwaizumi Hajime had been born with a leech.

Except, this leech wasn't one that drank up your blood. No, no, no, this leech ate away tirelessly at your patience and temper, until some more violent measures had to be taken. Which Iwaizumi was happy to supply. Due to the constant attention, the leech had grown to become a parasite of sorts. It had buried itself deep in his skin, nestled right inside his brain. Constantly draining his energy.

And that leech went by the name Oikawa Tooru.

Iwaizumi and Oikawa had been best friends for as long as Iwaizumi could remember. They had bonded strongly over bugs, or possibly aliens. Iwaizumi couldn't quite remember. But, that had given him at least 10 years of time to figure out what made Oikawa really tick. It had actually been quite difficult to tell the difference between what Oikawa was saying and what he actually meant, especially on the court. He had become an annoying enigma in Iwaizumi's world.

Iwaizumi had quickly discovered volleyball and girls ranked the highest on Oikawa's priorities, in that order. Which wasn't much of a surprise. Ever since the summer before going into first year, Iwaizumi distinctly remembers Oikawa trying to compare girls to fish. Talking about how you can catch them but have to let them go. Iwaizumi fondly reminisces on giving him a hard time about that one. A few good whacks, and a brief lecture about respecting women seemingly put him back in his place.

Iwaizumi sighed, as he let his hands reflexively push open his bedroom door. His feet felt uncomfortable in his damp socks, still drenched by the rain outside, but he was too lazy to take them off. He trudged over to his bedside, flopping not-so-gracefully onto the comforter. He sighed happily into his sheets.

It had been raining nonstop in the area, Monday through Friday. It had been really quite irritating to Iwaizumi, constantly getting drenched from his trips to the gym for volleyball. Oikawa had frequently made remarks on how the rain made Iwaizumi smell like a wet dog. Making a point to hold his nose when he had gotten particularly closer to him during drills. But, now that he was alone in his room with a whole weekend ahead of him. It made everything seem worthwhile.

Plink! Plink! Plink!

It must've started coming down even harder, Iwaizumi was thankful he'd gotten home before the storm really hit.

Plink! Plink! PLONK!

Okay, no, there was something definitely being thrown against his window.

With a tired sigh, he got back to his feet, shuffling over to his window. As soon as he'd even opened his window, a pellet-sized rock hit him in the chest. It didn't hurt, but the action alone made his temper start boiling.

"Who the hell-", his eyes then met a familiar pair of brown ones. There stood Oikawa Tooru, currently being drenched by the rain, he noticed that there were more similarly-sized rocks in his grasp. Iwaizumi could now see that the rain had been coming down harder, so before Oikawa could even explain himself, Iwaizumi gestured to his front door. Oikawa apparently got the idea and went towards it.

"It's unlocked by the way." Iwaizumi half-shouted, before shutting his window back up and laying back on his bed. He waited for Oikawa to make his way into his bedroom.

Before Oikawa had gotten to his room, Iwaizumi had busied himself with the tiny rock that had made his way in the house. He threw it up towards the ceiling, and caught it on its descent. He could hear his door creak open.