Chapter 6: Date

"Hey, Chloe! How are you today?" I asked the next day as we walked to school.

"I-I'm fine, Alex. You don't have to treat me any differently because of yesterday," she replied, slightly embarrassed.

"Ok. I won't. Will Saturday at five work for you? I can pick you up."

"Sure. That works with me."

"Sweet! I'll see you then!"

Everything was going perfectly, despite Alexa's constant smirks and giggles. Nothing will ruin Saturday night because I refuse to let anything stand in my way. Thank goodness it was already Friday. I'm not sure how much longer I could've waited.

The day went by in a flash and soon, it was Saturday, the day of my date with Chloe.

"How do I look, Mom?" I asked after I had changed into my best suit.

"You look great, honey," she replied, looking proud.

"Yeah, if you want to dress up as a penguin or something," Alexa muttered.

I ignored her and headed out to my car.

"Be careful and be back by nine, ok?" Dad instructed as I walked toward the entrance to the garage.

"Don't worry, Dad. I won't break curfew. See ya later!"

After driving for a couple of minutes, I arrived at Chloe's house. When I knocked on the door, her dad answered.

"Hello, Alex. It's good to see you. Chloe's almost ready," he said nicely.

"It's good to see you too, Mr. Anderson. I promise to take good care of Chloe."

"I know you will. I think you're one of the only guys I trust her with. Ever since I can remember, she's waited for you to-"

"Dad! Stop it!" Chloe called as she walked over to us. "Let's go, Alex. We don't have time to dilly dally."

"Ok, Chloe," I replied as I followed her out the door. "See you later, Mr. Anderson! I'll have her back before nine!"

As I drove us to the restaurant we were going to eat at, we took our minds off everything stressful like school and the separation. Soon, we were eating French cuisine at a fancy restaurant and having the time of our lives. However, that was about to change. We were about to leave when I saw the Doc walking briskly on the street below.

"What's wrong, Alex? Are the escargo not agreeing with you?" Chloe asked, concern lighting up her eyes.

"I just saw the Doc down there. I have to go catch him so I can be normal again."

"But what about our date? You're just going to leave me?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't pass up this opportunity. This may be my only chance!"

"I don't believe you! Here I thought you were going to forget about that for one night and focus only on me! Now I see that you only care about yourself!" Chloe shouted as she stormed off.

"Chloe, wait. It'll only take a minute. I'll be right back, I promise," I called desperately.

But it was too late. Chloe had already left. I was more alone than I had ever felt before in my entire life. How am I supposed to fix things now?