Chapter 9: Upgrade

"It's finally done. Are you ready, you two?" Mom asked Alexa and I one day after work.

"Heck yeah! This sounds totally awesome. I can't wait. Right, Alex?" Alexa exclaimed, looking at me.

"Yeah. I'm surprised it's even possible."

"Never doubt your mother, young man. I can do what most people think is just a pipe dream."

With that, the three of us headed down to the Hideout, where Mom's latest gadget was waiting for us. You're probably wondering what it is that's got us all so excited. I would tell you, but that wouldn't be any fun, now would it? Fine. I'll give you a hint: it involves Alexa and me. I bet your thinking what I think you're thinking. Unfortunately, for you, if you are thinking that, you'd be wrong. Fine. I'll get on with my narration.

"Wow! That looks awesome."

"And why wouldn't it? After all, I built it," Mom replied proudly.

Sitting in front of us was a large, metal cylinder. Impressive, right? I guess I'll have to explain what it does so you'll understand why we're so impressed. Basically, this cylinder will somehow make Alexa and I one again. That's not all though. According to Mom, it will also unlock a new power within us. This power will allow us to split into two people whenever we want to without splitting our power, like with Yzarc's device. I don't really know how it works, but I think Mom said something about atoms and DNA. Don't give me that look! I may have above average intelligence, but my mom is a literal genius.

"Well, are you two ready?"

The two of us nodded and walked towards the machine. After pressing a button, the door opened, allowing us to go inside. Once we were in, I heard Mom's voice from the outside.

"You may feel some pain once the machine activates. Keep in mind that I'm basically rewriting your molecular structures and DNA strands in just a couple of seconds. If you want to back out, now's your last chance."

I looked to Alexa to see if she wanted to back out. She just gave me a look that said, "Are you kidding?"

"We're ready, Mom. Start it up," I called out.

"Ok. Powering up in three... two... one. Power on!"

Inside the machine, the two of us were suddenly hit by a powerful electric shock. It was so powerful that we couldn't even scream. Slowly, Alexa's body started to merge with mine until we were one once again. A short time after that, the shock faded and the machine's entrance opened.

"Are you ok, Alex? It wasn't too painful, was it?" Mom asked concerndly.

"Piece...piece of cake," I muttered weakly.

Suddenly, I felt a weird sensation that almost made me fall over.

"Quit being so tough. That freaking hurt and you know it!" Alexa exclaimed from right next to me.

"It works! I told my coworkers, but they thought I was crazy." Mom exclaimed excitedly.

Before I forget to mention this, after the lab explosion, the Doc was finally put in jail for good. Of course, he's not allowed anywhere near his crazy self, just in case he gets any funny ideas. Also, I finally came out to everyone at school. Of course, they don't know about my powers or about being the Masculine Militant and Feminine Fighter, but now I can shapeshift into a girl without having to pretend to be a guy. One last thing, Chloe and I are officially dating. After I saved her, we apologized to each other and decided to keep seeing each other. Life couldn't get much better.