6

My mind was whirling with possibilities and emotions.

Although quests were geared toward humans, there was nothing to say that those of a more... aquatic-influence couldn't complete them. Humans seemed to know mostly the stories of various male Greek heroes. like Hercules, going on quests in order to either prevent terrifying events from happening or to get assistance in some manner for revenge post-terrifying event.

Rarely is it known (and almost never to the humans who pursued these quests) that we mythic creatures set the quests; we set the rules and locations and trials. For example, hidden deep in footnotes in old books (most lost to the ocean deeps), it is noted that Hercules had significant help in slaying the Nemean lion from a serpent (later seen as a water serpent with the prophecy regarding the Trojan War). Without the guidance of this serpent, Hercules would never have found the Nemean lion to begin with, nor would he have been able to find the method to take the beautiful golden fur (which was impervious to all elements and weapons).

Poor Nemea shouldn't have pissed us Sirens off by continuing to overfish his area. It's just so unfortunate that his claws were the only thing sharp enough to cut through his own coat.

And humans think the phrase "There's more than one way to skin a cat" comes from no early than the 1600s.

My mind continued to spin like the currents of a whirlpool as I processed all the different starting points for quests I knew. Those memories all had a thick layer of sand settled over them, as modern humans had little to no need for quests.

As one settled to the forefront of my mind, I shook my limbs out, then shot out toward the first area, home of one of the many beasties of the world- the Cove.

---

I didn't quite grin as a dolphin pod approached from behind me, but it was close. I slowed down to face them, and, with a series of clicks and clatters, I relayed what had happened. Dolphins and I had an understanding. When they swam with me, they tended to find fish populations that were thriving. Balance in all things, you know? And, fortunately, for me, I had met this particular pod before.

"Bubbles!" I screeched. This was admittedly one of the smartest animals I had ever encountered. Whales were big and powerful, but they were prone to being a little more philosophical and slow than I generally had patience for. Sharks were overly prone to "bite first, think later," as, being extremely primal animals, it took a little while to realize that my shiny, flipping tail was not, in fact, prey. Dolphins, however, were sleek, fast, and had great communication methods and familial connections.

We swam circles around each other, using the proper greetings. I bumped noses with him, and then scratched his nose. He trilled happily, and I patted him one last time before getting down to business.

"I need transportation to the Cove."

His beady eyes widened with fear. As he started to protest, I cut him off.

"Please- they have Roper!" The desperation in my voice got to him, and he nudged me again resignedly. "I'll treat you and your pod to a dinner tonight, then bring you to a place with enough fish to feed your pod for at least two moon turns."

He looked at me, the fear in his eyes replaced with concern, then grunted, which I took as acceptance.

I grinned.

---

Just before dawn, I felt a really warm hand shaking my shoulder.

"Mear, wake up," a deep voice rumbled.

I stiffened. No way was he here, right?

"Wrong. Here I am!" The voice sounded so happy, I growled at it. For once, I was glad I didn't sleep naked.