Frozen Hearts ~2015

-----------🖤----------

----------🖤----------

Watching the snowflakes fall was always a way to reminisce about the tragedy that occured on October 31st.

While kids lurked in costumes for candy and adults stressed over the cost of such sweets and the after effects, Melanie found herself in neither of these categories.

Not because she was a 17 year old, but because she was mourning, watching the decorations ranging from bats, to skeletons and everyone's 'worst nightmares'.

Even the warm cup of hot chocolate couldn't distract her from her own monsters, the real meaning of this 'holiday' to her, which was the day her parents passed.

Setting the beverage down at her bedside table, Melanie grabbed her coat and exited the cottage, where she was forced to live with her 'ever so caring' aunt. Taking a stroll in the infinite darkness could have potentially kept her mind off things, but she had other intentions for the night.

Intentions that were quite similar to her parent's fate.

--

Arriving at the bridge, she swung her head over the unstable railing, looking at the nearly frozen water. Anxiety upshot into trembling breaths, she tried to calm the voices in her head, shrieking at her to stop.

The shaky surface of said railing however, was inviting, enough to silence her rationality.

"Mom," Melanie whispered under her breath, "I'll see you and dad soon."

She closed her emerald eyes,

hesitant but ready to face her last moments.

And then, she jumped.

--

"Wake up, WAKE UP!"

Melanie violently coughed, swiftly sitting up, pressing her hand to her chest. She noticed a messy mane of tangled hazel locks, and a shiver ran down her quavering spine.

Melanie was soaked.

"Oh, thank god." A relieved and unfamiliar voice suddenly spoke and Melanie instantaneously whipped her head towards said noise.

Perhaps it was the dark sky, or her own shaking demeanor, but her eyes met with the softest blue orbs she ever saw.

Despite the similar condition they both were in (drenched in water), he was the warmest person she had ever seen.

"Are..." The mysterious male begun, "Are you okay?"

"I-uh... yeah," Melanie assured, although considering her suicide attempt and the boy's skeptical expression, it was obvious neither believed the words spouting from her mouth.