Vulnerability

You have been to the doctors and they said you need to use crutches until the stitches are out. You are  out and about now wearing comfy clothes that cover most of the injuries. It is Wednesday and you are on the way to church. You never told your dad why you wanted to go. You feel guilty, even though you shouldn't, it wasn't your fault. That isn't the only reason, you feel like  you need to confess something. You could tell that your dad is worried about you. He has been extra careful with you which isn't what you wanted. You feel like he is your guide more then you are to him. Uncle Foggy is also very protective over you, he wont even let you out of the apartment with out guiding you to the street. Your friends look at you with sympathy. They left get well cards and stuff like that in front of the apartment door. They didn't bother to come in. The only person who seem to treat you like a human and not a fragile flower made of glass was Karen. You always preferred it when someone had to "watch" you. She understood that you are indeed meat and bone with a soul that doesn't need to be taken care of 24/7. So after church today you both are going to hang out at her apartment. Looking at the same walls everyday is exhausting so you were excited for that.

You arrive at the church and sit on the bench and sigh. Your underarms hurt you still need to get some pads for them to be more comfortable. Your dad stands there and waits. "You can go ahead and head inside dad I am going to sit here for a bit." You say holding the crutches up right so they don't block the sidewalk. "(Y/N) come on we will miss this session if we sit out here, plus its getting cold its best if you come inside." Matt says in his concerned tone that he has been using on you ever since the accident. "I'm fine dad you don't need to worry about me. I just want to sit and people watch for a bit." You say not looking at him, You try to not have an annoyed voice or give off some sort of attitude. He is your dad after all and you should be grateful. This is the most he has spent time with you in a while but his constant worry is not how you want to make him feel when he is around you. "How about we sit together then." He says going to sit down. "N-No! I... I want to be by myself. Please go inside and I will be there in a minute..." Matt keeps a straight face and tilts his head then nods. "Alright sweetpea... See you inside." You could tell that he was hurt by what you said. It makes you feel even more guilty it makes your heart hurt. He walks inside tilting his head in your direction before shutting the door. You look around when you see a familiar head popping out from the crowd. "Abigail!" You call out to her waving. "Abs! Abigail over here!" You call out to her again and she stops and makes eye contact with you she looks slightly annoyed. You notice that she is with someone and you realize she is walking with someone. 'Is... is that the druggie from the alley?' He is holding a back pack that looks like it has been splattered with paint as well as the jacket he is wearing. He looks just as annoyed but you try your luck with another shout. "Abigail!" This time you give a more shy wave hopping she will respond with a more enthusiastic wave but she only glances at you and turns away, her head and body slowly being lost in the crowd in which you had found her.

You are hurt by her reaction. She looked annoyed and burdened by the sound of your voice. 'Am I a burden?' You think to yourself. 'Do... do I bother people? Am I annoying? Am I...' these thoughts start to spiral out of control. By the time you snap out of it someone is tapping on your shoulder and speaking to you. "Hello (Y/N)?" Father Paul asks standing next to you. "(Y/N) are you okay?" He asks but you are already nodding your head. "Yes Father. I'm sorry I guess I am a little spacey today." He nods and says "That's alright. You weren't in today's service I saw Matthew and he mentioned that you seemed troubled. Is there something you wish to speak about?" He asks leaning his elbows on his knees. You nod " Is... Is it bad to wish death on someone Father?" You whisper and Father Pauls eyes widen. "Because that night... I almost died and the usual things that run through your mind was there but..." You play with your fingers out of nervousness. " I wished death on someone and if it wasn't for Fr-" You cut yourself off, Frank saved you and he didn't need to be outed.  "If it wasn't for that someone who saved me I would be dead..." You begin to tear up as small tear drops fall onto your hands and jeans. "I'm glad they are dead. Is that bad of me to say?" You ask still whispering. Father Paul pauses the begins to say " Of course it is bad to wish death on a person... It is not bad to confess to having these feelings because of the trauma you went through. You have to push past these feelings and grow with the  trauma you have." He pauses and places a hand on your shoulder. " Don't let the trauma define you. It shapes you into the person you are today. You will grow stronger now, everything you have went through will help you grow stronger. Father Paul says. "My church is always open." He finishes as your dad walks out and a car pulls up and the window rolls down. "Hello Karen." He says with a smile as you stand up with your crutches and smile at Karen. " Hey Matt. Hey (Y/N)! Ready to go?" She asks and you nod and move toward the passenger side of the car and get in. Matt just smiles and waves. "You girls don't get into to much trouble!" He says in which Karen laughs and says. " No promises!" You smile and wave at him and Father Paul and say. " Bye! I love you dad!" He responds with an "I love you too sweetpea." As Karen rolls up the window and drives away.