Home

"Ahem

"Ahem."

In the middle of my pure joy of Camillo and I's engagement, a male voice interrupts our kissing, making my cheeks turn a fiery red.

Both Kade and Andres arrive at Camillo's bedside, causing me to scramble off of Camillo's lap faster than I knew I even could.

I technically am getting married, and I can't keep the huge, stupid grin off of my face.

Stop being such a girl!

"Hey, guys. So glad to see you're doing better."

Kade winks sarcastically at his best friend, who isn't at all ashamed of what everyone just saw. "Why, thank you. I'm definitely doing one hundred percent better, now that you're all here."

I send a look to Andres to apologize for his secondhand embarrassment, but all he does is smile at me kindly.

Can he tell that I'm beaming?

Chuckling to himself, Kade goes on. "But all that aside, some generals just arrived at camp, and they have something they'd like to say to all of us. Privately."

Worry sparks in my chest, but Kade sees it and quickly puts me at ease. "No, no. It's nothing bad. Don't worry. Just follow me."

Whew.

The tension in the room eases, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Then I help put Camillo's hospital shirt back on his torso, his bandage newly cleaned, as Andres and I also help get Camillo out of bed so that he can come along with us.

Seeing the state he is in, Andres' chin lowers. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Camillo grunts, and I start to doubt it too, but Kade speaks up. "This man can survive anything, so what's a little walk in the park?"

At the joke, Camillo's eyes flash. A hint of mischief shows. "You watch, brother. Just because I'm injured doesn't mean I can't outlive you."

Kade bursts out laughing, all I can do is put a hand over my mouth to cover my amusement.

Oh, boys.

***

Kade, Andres, Camillo and I walk into the generals tent, not really knowing what to expect.

The smell of eggs and coffee fills the air, as breakfast is just being served outside to all of the soldiers, nurses, and patients at camp.

I didn't realize how large and active this base was.

Inside the tent, three generals - Darrell, Hawk, and the Nation one from this base - greet us professionally, along with a young woman with orangey hair who seems about forty years old.

"Hello, Adeline." Darell greets me more friendly than the others, causing me to incline my head in respect.

"General Darell! What are you doing all the way on the east coast?"