Fight or Flight

Before my mind could catch up with my body, all I know is that I am running home

Dispatched everywhere, the men in the brown-green camouflage army suits with shiny badges displayed on their chests like giant prizes have already started bursting into every home, every crevice.

All of the women at the water well knew it as soon as we saw them - guns and registration papers at the ready, determined and cold looks on their faces.

Searching through every household was a war general with his equipment, pulling young, new boys out of their homes.

That is why the rest of the army wasn't with them today.

Not every soldier is needed to draft us, so most stayed back to train except for the generals.

The wind is rushing through my ears rhythmically and making my eyes water.

And by the time I make it home...

I am just on time to witness the event that would change my life forever.

"Adeline," gasps my father, eyes darting to my out of breath figure.

"Dad- "

Clutching dress fabric to my chest, I am cut off by our front door slamming open, swinging violently on it's hinges.

"Gentlemen," A mustached man says, nodding dutifully.

I regard the man who has barged into our home with dark eyes and disgust.

How dare he come walking in like that, unannounced into my home?

And how could he still have that smirk printed on his face, despite knowing that he would be ruining families' lives today?

It is an effort to reign in my rage as I stand in front of my brother protectively, a hand placed upon my hips.

I spit out at the general, "Excuse me, may I help you?"

The blond general sneers.

"Actually, you can, miss. I am here to consult the citizens of Woodson wishing to apply for the draft."

"Well, sorry to disappoint, officer."

He gives me a curious look.

"But the Marina family does not wish to apply. You would do yourself well to show yourself out. Have a nice day."

Surprised at my reaction to his words, the man raises a trimmed eyebrow at me and my fake smile.

Honestly, I am barely containing myself from letting out an insulting string of words that I know would get me into more trouble. I don't care how standoffish I'm being - this is a grave matter at hand.

Walking over to me, the general tries to intimidate me with his giant figure.

"Now that wasn't very respectful."