The Book Thief

The Book Thief- one of the many books that ripped out my soul and left me crying for days.

Wait a second, is that not how you start a book recommendation? Okay, let's start again.

The Book Thief!!! It's a devastatingly good book.

'The Book Thief', narrated by Death (yes, narrated by Death!!), tells us the story of Liesel Meminger. She loses her brother on the way to her foster parents(I know it looks like the book gets more depressing by the second, but it's worth a read, trust me). She steals her first book during her brother's funeral, that was when she didn't know how to read or write. Once at her foster parents' home, even though it happened gradually, she adjusted to a new life. She became very attached to her 'papa', who taught her to read and write, and thus, to read the book she stole, she started going to school, she got used to her foster mother's "tough love"(which mostly consisted of being beaten, being called German swear words, etc etc, but hey, people show their love in their own unique ways, I guess), she made friends, the closest one being Rudy. All this was happening in the midst of the Second World War(let's just say, that Death-our narrator- got very busy, collecting souls and all). The book opens our eyes, and shows us what living during a war was like(spoiler:it was not pleasant). Does Liesel and her family survive the war? Did Liesel steal any more books? When the auditions for the position of narrator took place, was Death the only person who showed up?!

Author:Markus Zusak
Genres: Young Adult, Novel, Historical Fiction
Reading level: 12-16

I do not own the book, all rights go to Markus Zusak.

"The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. (Death)"
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

It's a really good book, and to be honest, Death makes a good narrator, even though the things he say can get creepy sometimes. On that happy note, Have a Good Reading!

 On that happy note, Have a Good Reading!